Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally lifted my trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Finally lifted my trailer

For reference my previous thread was here...

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/critiq...advise-387690/

This trailer has AlKo torsion axles and no one sells a lift kit. Its similar to a Dexter torsion axle, but the mount points are different.

The issue was the trailer was so low, I'd scrape almost anywhere. The spring bars were the low point and I was rubbing off the spring bar u-bolts on the Blue Ox hitch that attached the chains.

I used 2x3x3/32" tubing and dropped one side at a time. It wasn't too hard. Just a bit tedious as I had to define hole locations as I went as there were not plans. I also had to extend the brake wiring due to the axle drop.

Of course, I had to re-adjust the height of the hitch. Given the granularity of the Blue Ox mount points, I would be either 3/4" high or 3/4" low on the tongue. I chose 3/4" high as that would allow me to invert the tongue getting more clearance under the hitch. Otherwise, the tongue would have been the next low point and felt it was too low.

I'm pleased. I hope it works out well. The drive around the city didn't turn up any issues.

A couple of pics... Kinda hard to tell there is a lift until you look at the wheel well openings I guess.

The old low rider configuration:
Finally lifted my trailer-iryk9uu.jpg

Slightly nose down:
Finally lifted my trailer-iqnb7yh.jpg
Finally lifted my trailer-th3xyht.jpg

Slightly nose up:
Finally lifted my trailer-pxirim1.jpg
Finally lifted my trailer-itsyy7s.jpg
Old 11-19-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Huge improvement! I remember first reading your earlier post and thinking, damn that has gotta be annoying. I’m glad you found a good solution
Old 11-19-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Did you have to install a 2-step entry step, or did your current one still work for you?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

I have this same issue with my trailer. Its a Jayco Jayflight X213 and runs on two Dexter trailing arm axles and sits very low. The issue is that it uses some custom brackets that bolt/weld the axles to the framerail, it is not as simple as bolting on some square tubing between the axle and frame and calling it a day. When I bought it I didnt look close enough to realize this and just thought it would be a pretty straight forward thing.

Supposedly Jayco had a lifted version of my trailer but it consisted of axles with trailing arms at a 45 degree angle instead of the standard 22.5 like is on my trailer. I think at this point it would be nearly impossible to get those since the trailer is a 2012.

Last edited by mass-hole; 11-20-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RubyRed Canadian
Did you have to install a 2-step entry step, or did your current one still work for you?
Well, I didn't. Do I need to? Don't know yet. That is up to the Mrs. I might just use a step stool if she needs one. I'm OK as-is.

Supposedly Jayco had a lifted version of my trailer but it consisted of axles with trailing arms at a 45 degree angle instead of the standard 22.5 like is on my trailer. I think at this point it would be nearly impossible to get those since the trailer is a 2012.
Provided you don't choke at the cost, you can buy new axles with the different orientation. There is a lift kit available for common Dexter axles. You might want to dig a little more and see if they fit. If you have the funky frame with the cut-outs, the kit won't work. A picture helps a lot here.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelInCalifornia
Well, I didn't. Do I need to? Don't know yet. That is up to the Mrs. I might just use a step stool if she needs one. I'm OK as-is.

Provided you don't choke at the cost, you can buy new axles with the different orientation. There is a lift kit available for common Dexter axles. You might want to dig a little more and see if they fit. If you have the funky frame with the cut-outs, the kit won't work. A picture helps a lot here.
The brace/bracket for my trailer holds both axles and bolts to the side of the frame rail, not underneath it. So the common lift kits I have seen where they give you a section of C-Channel or Square tube to place between the axle and the frame wont work in my case. The best thing I can tell is I would either have to have the axle cut from the bracket and some kind of extension made or a whole new bracket made.

The problem with this is it then shifts the axle farther from the frame and the frame may not be able to cope with the extra leverage from horizontal loads.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by mass-hole
I have this same issue with my trailer. Its a Jayco Jayflight X213 and runs on two Dexter trailing arm axles and sits very low. The issue is that it uses some custom brackets that bolt/weld the axles to the framerail, it is not as simple as bolting on some square tubing between the axle and frame and calling it a day. When I bought it I didnt look close enough to realize this and just thought it would be a pretty straight forward thing.

I had a Jayco 213EXP, it was a great trailer. I never had any height issues in the 7 years I owned it.

I upgraded to a Whitehawk 28BHKS, wow, that thing is high off the ground!! I has a triple entry step. With the extra length, I guess the height is needed to clear the ground on steep inclines.

Again, on my 213, I never once scraped it on the pavement, but I agree, it is a low rider.

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by RubyRed Canadian
I had a Jayco 213EXP, it was a great trailer. I never had any height issues in the 7 years I owned it.

I upgraded to a Whitehawk 28BHKS, wow, that thing is high off the ground!! I has a triple entry step. With the extra length, I guess the height is needed to clear the ground on steep inclines.

Again, on my 213, I never once scraped it on the pavement, but I agree, it is a low rider.
I really havent had an issue yet either, which I think may be because of the length(trailer axles arnt that far from the hitch). My biggest worry is tearing stuff off. We went down to Moab the other weekend and took it down some pretty rugged "roads" trying to find a site in one of the dispersed camping areas. It made it, but I was puckering the whole time waiting to see the sewage drain laying on the road behind me or something.

I am also thinking I may try to get taller tires to help get an inch or two, just gotta make sure they wont touch as the axles move.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by mass-hole

I am also thinking I may try to get taller tires to help get an inch or two, just gotta make sure they wont touch as the axles move.
I was always surprised that they only put 13" tires on that trailer, and when you add up the weight ratings, it was just on the line as well. Those bean counters!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelInCalifornia
I added a second grab bar below the original to help my wife and the grandkids get into our TT, found one identical to the original on Amazon.