Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 1000lb Hitch any good

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 1000lb Hitch any good

Hi,
Just got a TT (Max #6000) and the dealer offered a EAZLift Recurve R3 1000lb Hitch for free.

Just wandering if it is any good
Thanks
Old 01-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Not very good. A lot better than no WD hitch at all, or one that uses sway bars for sway control, but still a cheap hitch. Good WD hitches with good built-in sway control list for around $1,000 and are available online for about $500 to $700. The EAZ-Lift (or CamCo) Recurve R3 1000lb #RV-48752 is available for ~$300 at Camping World.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-weight/85057

But since it's "free" I would accept it and try it out. It will probably work fine for weight distribution. It's weakness is in sway control under severe sway-causing conditions.

One good ting about the ReCurve WD hitch is the spring bars exit the head at the top of the head instead of at the bottom. Round-bar hitches with spring bars coming out of the bottom of the head are much more likely to drag on the ground when you cross dips or ditches. And almost all round-bar WD hitches have the spring bars coming out of the bottom of the head. Torsion bar hitches have the spring bars coming straight back out of the head. That Recurve hitch is the only one I've seen with the spring bars coming out of the top of the head.

If you ty that hitch, then pay attention when towing. If you notice even the slightest trailer sway, then upgrade to a better WD hitch. The good ones include

Blue Ox Swaypro

Equal-I-Zer

Reese Strait-Line trunnion with shank

Husky Centerline HD 31390 with spring bars

Some Strait-Line hitches come without an adjustable shank. If you get a Reese Strait-Line, be sure it includes the adjustable WD shank.

Husky Centerline HD comes without spring bars. You must order the correct weight spring bars in addition to the HD head.
The following users liked this post:
RCPower (01-18-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:32 PM

Thanks
May try to get a big discount on a different hitch
Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM

Got a Equal-i-zer 90001000 Equalizer Hitch for a great price.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Senior Member: Will

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RCPower
Got a Equal-i-zer 90001000 Equalizer Hitch for a great price.
Equalizer is a great hitch
Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I looked at the recurve today and something I noticed was that where the bars connect to the head is the antisway braking system. The problem is when you unhook the trailer and then later back up to rehook it up the truck will need to be at the same angle or you will not be able to put the bars back on. The dealer said you really need to hook and unhook with the trailer and truck straight which is not always realistic.

To those of you with the Equalizer hitches if they are on 2015+ trucks have you had any problems like too stiff, problems with inclines etc.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Siskiyou
I looked at the recurve today and something I noticed was that where the bars connect to the head is the antisway braking system. The problem is when you unhook the trailer and then later back up to rehook it up the truck will need to be at the same angle or you will not be able to put the bars back on. The dealer said you really need to hook and unhook with the trailer and truck straight which is not always realistic.

To those of you with the Equalizer hitches if they are on 2015+ trucks have you had any problems like too stiff, problems with inclines etc.

You do need to be lined up pretty straight, but you can reduce the load on the anti-sway part before you start. There is also alot of jacking up and down to get it connected. And the quality of the "handle" (not sure how else to describe it) to get the bars in place it crappy, you can't put much weight on it, so you end up having to really use the tongue jack on the trailer to raise the back of the truck up. (Actually the more I think about it the more I want rid of the hitch)
Old 01-26-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the equal-izer, which i use on my 2016 xlt sport 5.0. Towing a Cougar xlite 28rbs. Ive had great luck and no issues with that hitch. No sway or problems with incline or such. Only negative i could say about it is it can be a bit noisy at times. Squeaks and groans from the torsion bars during tight turns sometimes.
The following users liked this post:
Siskiyou (01-27-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:50 AM
Senior Member: Will

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by scootereh
I have the equal-izer, which i use on my 2016 xlt sport 5.0. Towing a Cougar xlite 28rbs. Ive had great luck and no issues with that hitch. No sway or problems with incline or such. Only negative i could say about it is it can be a bit noisy at times. Squeaks and groans from the torsion bars during tight turns sometimes.
Did you buy the bracket jacks? They help
Old 01-29-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No but i have been considering getting them

Quick Reply: EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 1000lb Hitch any good