Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have one of these? What is the payload/GVWR...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have one of these? What is the payload/GVWR...

Well payload and GVWR - examples, obviously you can't provide the EXACT Payload of my exact truck when it's built - looking for ballpark and exact GVWR for this build.

Specs:
2017 SuperCrew
3.5EB
Lariat
6.5' box
4x2
502A
Tech Pkg
Max Tow

I can figure out differences from there via the tech specs...

Does Ford change the GVWR based on wheel size? IIRC Ford specifies each wheel size on the charts for the SD but not the F150.. so I doubt it.. but I'd want the 7k GVWR and the 18" wheels personally.

Since the 6.5' bed looks to add to the GVWR (7000 from 6800) for a 3.5EB SuperCrew but is missing the weight of the tcase, front diff, etc I was hoping to see more payload than the 16XX lbs I see on most of the 4x2 502a trucks.

17xx to low 18xx would give me enough headroom to feel more comfortable. I'm used to not caring about Payload with bigger trucks but since a drunk driver took out my last truck I am considering going new and just don't want to spend the cash on a new SD spec'd how I'd want it (Just bought a new car a few months ago so double payments will hurt enough, even with 20-30k or so down)

I am not a fan of overloading and I would just go find one on the lot.. but yeah, if you read the specs you probably know that there's little change in hell that I'll just stumble across one on the dealer lots.

Hopefully someone here has one of these (I did NOT see the spec in TooManyCars spreadsheet) and can chime in.

Thanks,
-Dave
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just picked mine up at the end of March.....below is my payload sticker

GVWR 7k
2017 Lariat SuperCrew Blue Jeans
3.5 Eco
FX4
5.5 bed
Max Trailer Tow
Tow Mirrors
20' PVD Wheels
Tech Pkg
Tailgate Step
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have one of these? What is the payload/GVWR...-20170326_214816.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 08:03 PM

I was supposed to pick up my 2017 XLT from the dealer today. When I ordered it, I specifically asked about the payload, and was told, as configured 1783 lbs. I was fine with that number. The truck had ecoboost 3.5, 6.5 bed, max tow, off road, sport model, with some added accessories such as box steps, tailgate step, and tow mirrors. When I went to pick it up, after a 9 week wait, my joy and excitement was quickly dampened by a 1649 lb payload, before the tonneau cover was added. I currently tow with a Dodge Durango that has a 1200 lb. payload, and I can't see paying $50,000 for about 400 lbs. (or less depending on the weight of the cover). I am also thinking down the road that I may want a slightly heavier trailer. So, the manager, who was very accommodating, asked me if I would like to order a new truck. After discussing the issue with my wife, on Monday we will order an XLT with the Heavy Duty Payload and Max Tow package, but will have to give up the sport package (I didn't want chrome) and get the standard model. The manager felt he could pull some strings and speed up the delivery a bit. I am hoping to get at least 2200 lbs. Does the HD ride very different from the regular 150? Also, how does the HD effect gas mileage? Any thoughts will be appreciated. (And please don't say get a 250. My current trailer only weighs about 5500 lbs. loaded with our gear. I want the ecoboost and will use this for more than just towing )

Thanks

And now I will drown my sorrows with a few beers!!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I would guess the off-road package and tailgate step added most of that weight - did you have the sunroof? I've heard that adds a decent amount of weight too.

You can see from my signature below that my XLT sport 302a, 6.5' and Max Tow with 36 gal tank has a payload sticker rating of 1,865 lbs.

If you can deal with the very basic XLT 300a then the HDPP will add a great deal of payload - but with only a 5,500 lb trailer I'm not sure it's fully necessary - but you can never go wrong with additional payload!

I would have ordered the HDPP if it was available with the 302a package.

Last edited by Magnetic157; 04-23-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

The 36 Gallon tank and the 9.75" locking differential also add a lot of weight. You have to be smart and configure your truck to be a luxury grocery getter, or a heavy hauler worker.

If you want a luxury truck and still be able to do work, then you're looking at a F250 or F350.

You need payload and rear axle capacity to tow heavy trailers due to their tongue weights.

I needed a 36 gallon so I wasn't running out of gas towing in the boonies and the 9.75" 3.73 differential for maximum tow capacity and ease of towing. Those add a lot of weight compared to the little 23 gallon tank and the little 8.8" differential that has limited tow capacity.

My 2016 F150 XLT Screw has, 4WD, 5.5' bed, 5.0L, 9.75" 3.73 Locking differential, 301a package, Trailer Brake Controller, 36 gallon tank, Tow package, and Ford Black Side Steps. I have 1890 lbs of payload with a 7000 lbs GVWR. Truck weight is 5110 lbs. Truck has a GCWR of 16,200 lbs which equates to a Tow Rating of 10,940 lbs after the industrial 150 driver is considered.

As is, my trucks 11,000 Trailer/1,110 lbs tongue, hitch rating will be exceeded before my payload will, with the heaviest Travel Trailers that I could tow. I'm now hitch rating limited and not payload limited for the very first time. My current travel trailer is 5050 lbs delivered from factory and about 6500 lbs loaded.

I actually got the truck I would have ordered, right off the lot. I was pretty lucky. Not happy with the way Ford forces you to get that rusting chipping painted front bumper or the peeling, corroding chrome package to get the 302A package. Glad those items meant little to me as I've learned my lessons with both chrome wheels/side steps and painted steel bumpers. Never again.

Last edited by Mike Up; 04-23-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:12 PM

I would guess the off-road package and tailgate step added most of that weight - did you have the sunroof? I've heard that adds a decent amount of weight too.

I agree. No sunroof since I've read that that carries some weight. Still not sure what I am not sure what I am going to do. Just priced out an f250, but not sure I want to go that route. While I may get a larger trailer down the road, I am limited by the space next to my house to probably 27 ft. So, looks like I'll have to make some compromises and go with the HDPP and give up some luxury items. The problem is my Durango is a Limited and is rather nice inside. The DW really doesn't want to give up the leather, but she insisted on the off road package so we can ride on the beach. I guess I can blame the extra weight on her, but that probably isn't a good idea!
Old 04-23-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by ftrupe

I agree. No sunroof since I've read that that carries some weight. Still not sure what I am not sure what I am going to do. Just priced out an f250, but not sure I want to go that route. While I may get a larger trailer down the road, I am limited by the space next to my house to probably 27 ft. So, looks like I'll have to make some compromises and go with the HDPP and give up some luxury items. The problem is my Durango is a Limited and is rather nice inside. The DW really doesn't want to give up the leather, but she insisted on the off road package so we can ride on the beach. I guess I can blame the extra weight on her, but that probably isn't a good idea!
You don't need the off road package to ride on the beach. Shocks and skid plate aren't going to keep you from getting stuck.

Besides, you don't want bouncy off road shocks if you're going to tow. It makes a poorer tow. You want the stiffest suspension, not the softest.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree - the FX4 package provides no real benefit for beach driving - the shocks aren't that big of an upgrade and the skid plates would be useless on the beach. They are for serious trail riding to stop debris from damaging the components underneath.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Thanks. I am going to do away with the off road package and give up some luxury for the payload. Your responses definitely helped my decision.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 AM

Just tried to reconfigure the XLT with the HDPP, and you must order the Off Road package too!