Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy or OK?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Crazy or OK?

Catchy title, huh?

Assuming all goes well next year we are planning on the RV to go with our truck. So we went to the Hershey show over the weekend and found a few we like and just want to make sure the #'s are sane with those that know more than I do.

The Truck
2011 F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow, Supercrew Shortbed. Payload from the yellow sticker - 1820. GVWR - 7650, front 3750, rear 4050. LineX liner and Tonnopro Hard Cover.
Looking at RV's such as the Hemisphere 282RK I see these #'s:
Length - 35'0"
Dry weight - 6620
CCC - 1901
GVWR - 8521
Dry Tongue - 700

Us
Just 2 of us + dog, estimate 710lbs for people, dog, gear in bed, etc. Subtracting that out we should have 1110 lbs of available payload

So assuming a fully loaded trailer and a 15% tongue weight, that's 1278 lbs or 168lbs over max payload. That's worst case so I'm confident the #'s would be under on all accounts.

Does this all sound reasonable or a recipe for disaster? Thanks!

Last edited by itguy08; 09-16-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by itguy08
The Truck
Payload from the yellow sticker - 1820.
GVWR - 7650

Trailer
GVWR - 8521

So assuming a fully loaded trailer and a 15% tongue weight, that's 1278 lbs or 168lbs over max payload.

With just a little bit of weight management, you can probably drag that wet and loaded RV trailer without being overloaded.

You estimated 15% for hitch weight, when the average is 13%. Dry tongue weight is only 10.6% of dry trailer weight, so there's an excellent chance that you will have no more than 13% wet and loaded tongue weight, or a max of around 1100 pounds. So you're at the break even point. But use the CAT scales to be sure.

If you're a hair heavy, then be sure the holding tanks are empty before you leave home or exit the RV park, and only a few gallons of water in the fresh water tank when towing. Leave the cast iron cookware at home and use cheap aluminum pots and pans for camping. Don't haul around a bunch of canned goods that you'll probably never open. Don't haul heavy crockware dishes - find some light-weight plastic or melamine dishes instead. With just a little bit of weight management, I'll bet you'll not be overloaded at all.

So no, you don't seem to have a mental health issue.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

....LineX liner and Tonnopro Hard Cover.

...Just 2 of us + dog, estimate 710lbs for people, dog, gear in bed, etc. Subtracting that out we should have 1110 lbs of available payload...
Not sure what the "etc." includes. But does it include your WDH (approaching 100 lbs), your tonneau cover (maybe 50 lbs), and your bed liner (let's say another 40 lbs)?

If you didn't subtract those items (and any other aftermarket mods), then when you subtract them you've got less payload remaining.

If you didn't include them in the "etc." or otherwise previously subtract those weights, the hitch, liner, and tonneau of around 190 lbs would reduce your payload from 1110 down to 920 lbs.

Just make sure you know what your actual payload capacity really is!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks guys. I figure with the 2 of us and only traveling with my cast iron griddle and the rest lightweight cookware, we'll be able to keep the weight down. Being it's just the 2 of us, the load is not likely to go anywhere and I can't imagine traveling with full tanks or even a load of food as we'd most likely do campgrounds and/or parks and can always stock up after the first night.

I added 100lbs of fudge factor for the etc. for things like the cooler of drinks, detritus in the truck, junk the wife must have, etc. Didn't include the weight of the hitch but I figure I can always take the tonneau cover off (it's 2 thumbscrews) if need be as I can't see the need for it with a trailer in tow and a super crew.

I'm just subtracting it all from the payload listed on the yellow sticker on the door jamb.

We live in a trucking town so I may just hit up the CAT scale to see what it all weighs. But do I subtract that from the GVWR or the axle ratings? Ie: if the scale says 2700 lbs front axle, 2100 lbs rear do they come off each axle's GVWR or the GVWR?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

You mean a camper trailer? An RV is a motorhome.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Ride
You mean a camper trailer? An RV is a motorhome.
I thought it was both as in Recreational Vehicle?

We went to what was called "America's largest RV show" and they had both motorhomes and travel trailers....
Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I was at the Hershey show this past weekend too. Did you stop by the Ford display by chance? I was in there while their marketing reps were asking the audience a bunch of questions trying to tout the F150 towing performance. They were throwing the 11,300 towing capacity rating around like it was the next best thing to sliced bread. I was the heckler in the back throwing back "too bad the payload limits it to 8k lb trailers"...

Anyway, with your proposed setup I would be equally concerned about the length at 35'. With the shorter wheelbase and 1/2 ton chassis, I would expect a 35' TT is going to produce some noticeable sway. So you'll want to invest in a nice WDH to control it.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by xcntrk
I was at the Hershey show this past weekend too. Did you stop by the Ford display by chance? I was in there while their marketing reps were asking the audience a bunch of questions trying to tout the F150 towing performance. They were throwing the 11,300 towing capacity rating around like it was the next best thing to sliced bread. I was the heckler in the back throwing back "too bad the payload limits it to 8k lb trailers"...
We were there Saturday from about 11am to 2pm. During the rain. Miserable weather but we had a list of units to find and check out! I skipped the Ford display. I've got a truck, and save the ogling for the Carlisle All Ford show in July!

Although I think you could get 11,300 in a trailer. If you do HD Payload and Max tow, I think you get around 2500 lbs of payload. So it would be close. Heck, my SC Lariat Max Tow at 1850 payload is good for 10,100 with a 200 lb driver and a 10% tongue weight....

Anyway, with your proposed setup I would be equally concerned about the length at 35'. With the shorter wheelbase and 1/2 ton chassis, I would expect a 35' TT is going to produce some noticeable sway. So you'll want to invest in a nice WDH to control it.
Yeah - I plan for an Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

We went to what was called "America's largest RV show" and they had both motorhomes and travel trailers....
* I would agree with you on that
* I think you are safely within limits
Old 09-17-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

In terms of insurance companies and DMV or Secretary of State's office, a trailer is not a vehicle, it's a trailer. A vehicle is defined by having it's own source of power/propulsion.

The general public has adapted the term "RV" to include trailers as well as motorhome as a generalized term. And dealers will include trailers and motor homes alike as an "RV" in that general terminology.

In the state of Illinois (where I live), they classify all into one of two categories: recreational trailers (RT) or recreational vehicles (RV). According to the state, and my insurance company, what separates an RT from a standard trailer (enclosed or open), is if it has living quarters/amenities. But like within many government agencies, this too can be described and interpreted differently depending on where and who you seek an answer.

Some states recognize class A, B, C or other types of RVs. Seems to be a regional thing, I guess. But I've found that if you use the specific phrase "motorhome" or "camper", there's no confusion.

Quick Reply: Crazy or OK?