Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me this is to much

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 01:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Convince me this is to much

http://www.mantecatrailer.com/produc...rbds-595932-29

truck is a screw
2017 XLT
5.0 V8
3.73 axle
1811 payload
16,200 GCWR (rated for 10,800 trailer)
tow package
trailer brake controller

I want my family to be safe, but I also want them to be comfortable when we arrive to campsite.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well here goes . I have been towing for over 30 years mostly within 10 miles of home
The few times I have hit the interstate with more the 10000 in tow I borrowed my friends
2500 diesel . There is a huge difference in handling with the larger truck . I think you are pushing it big time after u load all the other gear . I don't know how far you tow , one hour or two my be ok but I would want more truck or less camper.
The following users liked this post:
Gumption (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Need your gvwr, and actual weight of truck as loaded for the trip.

Last edited by msgtord; 04-10-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Payload of 1,811 minus family of four (600 lbs assumed) minus 200 pounds of crap (assuming zero modifications to truck) mins 125 pounds for a weight distribution hitch (75 - 125) = 886 pounds of payload left.

886 / 13% hitch weight = 6,815 pounds for a loaded trailer.

Trailer is that EMPTY, so unless something is off in the above you can't safely tow it based on Payload alone.

9,250 pounds fully loaded, assuming 13% hitch weight would be the absolute max for your hitch anyway. 1,200 pounds plus 125 for hitch plus 200 for you would leave 286 pounds for your family and their stuff, again assuming no modifications to the truck. If your kids are small and your wife is light you might be on the edge.
The following users liked this post:
Gumption (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

While you are at the upper limits, your truck is capable to pull that trailer. The concern that I have is, are you? I'm not questioning your manhood here. Just take a serious look at your own towing experience. Have you even pulled a travel trailer before? If so, and you know what your doing, you'll make this work. However, if your a flatlander and the only thing you've pulled is a 16ft fishing boat, then you are in over your head if you think your taking this camper into the Rocky Mountains.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm with the others here. I've been towing various trailers and heavy items off and on for 21 years. I've towed with everything from Jeeps to 1/2 ton pickups to 1 ton pickups. In my opinion, manufacturers are over-rating 1/2 ton trucks now days. They're making 1/2 ton trucks lighter in curb weight for MPGs and softer in suspension for ride quality, and both of those things mean that the practical towing capacity is going DOWN, not up on newer and newer trucks.

I towed a 2,500 lb. enclosed trailer home this weekend, and you definitely could feel the trailer affecting the suspension of the truck. The engine handles it OK, but has to rev to get the power it wants. With the trailer loaded down with UTVs and camping gear, and my whole family in the truck, the ol' girl is going to have all the load she wants. And the truck has the towing package, and load leveling rear shocks added.

I can't imagine towing a 31' camper that weights more AND has the negative side effect of extra wind drag. Sure, the salesmen are going to tell you that you'll be just fine. But it's going to be a tiring trip on the interstate with both hands on the wheel tightly the whole way.

My advice is to downsize the trailer, or upsize your truck.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Payload of 1,811 minus family of four (600 lbs assumed) minus 200 pounds of crap (assuming zero modifications to truck) mins 125 pounds for a weight distribution hitch (75 - 125) = 886 pounds of payload left.

886 / 13% hitch weight = 6,815 pounds for a loaded trailer.

Trailer is that EMPTY, so unless something is off in the above you can't safely tow it based on Payload alone.

9,250 pounds fully loaded, assuming 13% hitch weight would be the absolute max for your hitch anyway. 1,200 pounds plus 125 for hitch plus 200 for you would leave 286 pounds for your family and their stuff, again assuming no modifications to the truck. If your kids are small and your wife is light you might be on the edge.
Couple of things:
1. The trailer manufacturer lists a different hitch weight than the one you calculated, is their number pie in sky? Many folk have quoted the 13% hitch weight target, does this provide ideal weight distribution?
2. I was unsure of whether the weight distributing hitch counts directly against hitch weight or in gvwr. Your post seems to indicate it should be counted against the total payload as opposed to putting that weight exactly on the hitch. Is this due to its "weight distribution"?

Something like this more realistic?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I tow a keystone cougar with my 2016 screw 5.0. Ive had no issues with it, no sway, no trouble towing through hilly areas braking etc. My truck sits nice and level with my wdh hitch. My trailer is similar in specs to the one you are looking at except its dry weight is about 500 less. That could be a difference maybe but i also noticed that keystones specs say my hitch weight was 950 lbs. Which after discussions with some mechanics and sales staff at a few different places plus a little math appeared to be a bit on the high side for hitch weight. I do have a bit more payload rating im my truck also but have not had any white knuckle experiences with towing other than the snow we expereinced on our way to SC a few weeks ago and that was a visibility issue. Just my 2 cents though, everyones opinion and experiences are different of course.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumption
Couple of things:
1. The trailer manufacturer lists a different hitch weight than the one you calculated, is their number pie in sky? Many folk have quoted the 13% hitch weight target, does this provide ideal weight distribution?
2. I was unsure of whether the weight distributing hitch counts directly against hitch weight or in gvwr. Your post seems to indicate it should be counted against the total payload as opposed to putting that weight exactly on the hitch. Is this due to its "weight distribution"?

Something like this more realistic?
Trailer manufacturer lists a weight of 11% on an unloaded trailer. People use 13% as a guide. Load that trailer up to max and your 11% becomes 1,018... Add filled propane tanks, batteries, and the weight is on the tongue.

Under 10%, except for a boat, would likely be dangerous.

WDH counts against Payload, as it is weighing down the truck.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Trailer manufacturer lists a weight of 11% on an unloaded trailer. People use 13% as a guide. Load that trailer up to max and your 11% becomes 1,018... Add filled propane tanks, batteries, and the weight is on the tongue.

Under 10%, except for a boat, would likely be dangerous.

WDH counts against Payload, as it is weighing down the truck.
Thank you much! I was thinking since the weight of the WDH is right on the hitch it would count against that, but you've helped clarify.

So with 13%, can I assume that the second trailer posted, with 7600 gvwr would be safe?