Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting 2018 F150 XLT to 2019 Max Payload Package

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 2018 F150 XLT to 2019 Max Payload Package

Hey,

I wanted to buy a 2019 with the payload package to increase my max payload, but it wasn’t offered in the trim package I wanted (302a), so I ended up buying a 2018 because I could get a better deal.

So so I was wondering what I would need to do to convert it to the higher payload? I know there were two increased payload packages, one required a stronger wheel bolt pattern on the truck and one didn’t (the lighter one). From talking to the sales guy, it sounds like the lighter increased payload was just some helper springs. Would anyone be able to tell me what I would need? Probably not going to do it now, but I wouldn’t like to once it’s off warranty.

Thanks,
Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Provided you have the 157" WB and HPP frame, you will need new front springs, and rear springs(good luck finding them) and a new rear axle. Doesn't make the truck legal though, so you assume full responsibility if you go over the trucks OEM GVWR.

Read about it here. https://fifthwheelst.com/altering_ve...ification.html
Old 05-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Provided you have the 157" WB and HPP frame, you will need new front springs, and rear springs(good luck finding them) and a new rear axle. Doesn't make the truck legal though, so you assume full responsibility if you go over the trucks OEM GVWR.

Read about it here. https://fifthwheelst.com/altering_ve...ification.html
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I know it wouldn’t be make it legal, and I honestly would probably only push the weight limit once in a blue moon. It would be more to try and keep it level as I approach the limit.

Speaking of which, how do the new F150 ride when loaded right down? My last truck I had for 13 years was a 2006 F150. When I had it loaded down it would point up to the sky when I got close to its max payload.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by JRod83
I know there were two increased payload packages,...
Depending on your engine, there was only one increased payload package available. With the 2.7L EcoBoost engine, there was the 2.7L payload package which increased payload enough to equal the payload of the F-150s with 5.0L or 3.5L engines. With 5.0L or 3.5L EcoBoost engine, there was the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP). You mentioned that increased payload was not available with 302A trim, so you're discussing HDPP and not the 2.7L Payload Pkg.

From talking to the sales guy, it sounds like the lighter increased payload was just some helper springs.
Sounds like the typical uninformed sales dude. The "lighter payload" is apparently the 2.7L payload pkg which does not apply to your F-150.

Would anyone be able to tell me what I would need?
Assuming you have the 3.5L EcoBoost engine, then HDPP required the max tow pkg and included:
3.73 Electronic locking rear axle,
9.75" gearset in the rear end,
36 gallon gas tank,
18" LT load range C tires
Special heavier-duty HDPP wheels
plus the upgraded springs your sales dude mentioned
plus upgraded frame if your F-150 did not come with the HDPP frame.

Max trailer tow pkg required the 3.5L EcoBoost engine and included
integrated trailer brake controller
upgraded front stabilizer bar
upgraded rear bumper center reinforcement (replace the std receiver hitch with the max tow receiver hitch)

Assuming your truck already has the HDPP frame, then you would need to replace the third member (rear axle assembly including HDPP wheels and tires), springs, and the gas tank if you don't already have the big gas tank, front stabilizer bar, center "reinforcement" part of the rear bumper frame to get the Max Tow receiver, and add the trailer brake controller if you don't already have it. If your F-150 does not already have the HDPP frame, then "Sorry,, Charlie", but it would not be cost effective to replace the frame as well as add the other items you need to achieve HDPP.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by JRod83
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I know it wouldn’t be make it legal, and I honestly would probably only push the weight limit once in a blue moon. It would be more to try and keep it level as I approach the limit.

Speaking of which, how do the new F150 ride when loaded right down? My last truck I had for 13 years was a 2006 F150. When I had it loaded down it would point up to the sky when I got close to its max payload.
Depending on if its in the bed or being towed, and properly distributed, mine rides very well. "Properly distributed" is the key. Loading the bed you want as much weight in front of the rear axle as possible, and that keeps the weight on the front axle. Towing, you need a good, properly set up WDH. My Platinum with a Blue Ox drives really nice when towing my Travel Trailer. I have it set up to return 100% to the front axle, so no lighting the way for comets.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

No matter what you do you're not legal over the GVWR on your door sill. Since you only express that you want to be level, just get heavier springs for the back, or bags, sumo springs, a helper... lots of ways to do it. If you do stiffen up the rear, make sure to get firmer shocks so it doesn't bounce. If you put heavier coils in front along with stiffer shocks you'll get an improvement in proposing and lean in turns . Can't go wrong with a heavier anti-sway bar as well. All of this is easy to do and will make your truck look like it's doing nothing when it's at your legal GVWR. It will handle better with a load and with a trailer right up to the GVWR. The down side is it wont ride as soft.
The following users liked this post:
JRod83 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

After you do all this let us know how much of a deal it really was.

Quick Reply: Converting 2018 F150 XLT to 2019 Max Payload Package