Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper mount says one thing, but....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 01:53 PM
805drive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper mount says one thing, but....

has ratings of 11k+... my truck is a super crew 2018 3.5EB and 3.15 gearing... what is the most I can haul with or without a WD receiver? Thanks
Old 06-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Your owners manual shall explain all. It's a great resource.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:38 PM
805drive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
Your owners manual shall explain all. It's a great resource.
hitch says one thing, book says another. Was wanting people's opinions/experiences that may help.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 188 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammy Navarro
hitch says one thing, book says another. Was wanting people's opinions/experiences that may help.
You know what they say about opinions...

Max hitch/toungue weight across the board is 500 without WD. Probably (opinion) 1,000 Max with WD. After that it's a crap shoot based on power, wheelbase, options, etc.

Owners manual and door sticker tells the story for your individual setup.

I can tow 5,000 pounds Max. I've had a Ram 2500 and F-250. These F-150's are LIGHT DUTY trucks.

And when you say "Bumper Mount", do you mean an actual ball on the bumper, or do you mean the frame mounted class IV hitch under the bumper?

Last edited by RickC137; 06-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

How about you post your sticker(s) on you door jamb, where it will show you the payload number and the axel weights and from there we can better guestimate for you.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by i2oadi2unnei2
How about you post your sticker(s) on you door jamb, where it will show you the payload number and the axel weights and from there we can better guestimate for you.
butttt that's all explained in the owner's manual too. Just saying.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I can tow my equipment trailer with a 700 lb tongue weight, 7000 lb trailer...give or take. WDH is not required when I tow that trailer. A must when I tow our 5300 +/- TT. Go figure eh? lol
Old 06-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Other people's trucks and trailers are different than yours.

If you want to know how much you can haul and/or tow and how it can and cannot be hauled/towed. Then we will need a lot of info. about your specific truck and trailer.

Truck configuration (year, engine, cab, bed, 2wd or 4wd, trim package, which tow package, payload package or not, brake controller, etc,) Should be able to find this info on the original window sticker.
GVWR (From white door sticker)
GCWR (From owner's manual. use the tables to find your exact truck configuration)
GAWR (fr/rr) [From white door sticker]
Wet and loaded truck weight. [From CAT scales OR tell us the max carrying capacity on the yellow door sticker AND what you plan to have in/on the truck while hauling/towing]

Trailer wet and loaded weight.
Trailer type and/or actual wet and loaded tongue weight.

Any modifications to the truck since it rolled out of the factory? Any dealer installed options or accessories? Any accessories you've installed? (includes; bedliner, bed cover, tires, wheels, lift/level, floormats, winch, lighting, bumper, steps, exhaust, etc.)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

what is the most I can haul with or without a WD receiver?
No such thing as a WD receiver, so I assume you meant a weight-distributing (WD) hitch that plugs into your OEM receiver..

Without a WD hitch, max wet and loaded tongue weight (TW) is 500 pounds, which is a max wet and loaded trailer weight of about 3,850 pounds with average TW of 13% of gross trailer weight. Or a small trailer designed to haul one motorcycle, or one Ski-Doo, or one Wave-Runner, or maybe two small dirt bikes or a golf cart. Or a boat trailer with 8% TW that grosses not more than 5,000 pounds. (500 pounds TW is the limiter for trailers with 10% or more TW, or 5,000 pounds gross trailer weight is the limiter for trailers with less than 10% TW. No, you don't get to choose. It's 500 pounds max TW or 5,000 pounds max gross trailer weight, whichever comes first. )

With a WD hitch, tow rating is 10,700 pounds. But you cannot tow a trailer that weighs 10,700 with anything in the truck but a skinny driver, and no options on the truck not required to reach that tow rating. So to compute the max trailer weight you an tow without being overloaded, you have to weigh the wet and loaded truck. Guesstimating the weight, or taking the weight off of a source other than a CAT scale will not work, so load the truck up with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing, drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale, fill up with gas, then weigh the wet and loaded truck.

Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR of the truck and the answer is the max hitch weight you can have without exceeding the payload capacity of your truck.

Subtract 100 pounds (the weight of a good WD hitch) from the max hitch weight to get the max TW of a travel or cargo trailer you can tow without exceeding the payload capacity of your truck.

Divide that max TW by 13% and the answer is the max GVWR of any travel or cargo trailer you want to consider buying for towing with your F-150 and a good WD hitch.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
butttt that's all explained in the owner's manual too. Just saying.
True, but there are folks that are TLDR and wants to hear what they want to hear. But when they post this numbers the truth will hurt a bit and that's the reality. I rather they be informed and safe then dead or cause an accident.

Smokey here knows his stuff and preaches it, i'd follow his Golden rule and everyone will be safe
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (06-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Bumper mount says one thing, but....