Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Controllers

Hello everyone, I have a '17 F150 Super Crew FX V8 5.0. I have a question on brake controllers, I was using a Tekonsha P3 with my GMC Acadia to tow our travel trailer and have since installed it on my ford, I'm wondering if it would make sense for me to have the factory Ford brake controller installed instead of using the aftermarket unit. There are times when I find the Tekonsha brake control to be annoying (over braking/under braking despite where I have it set), i didn't know if anyone here could speak to whether the factory control would be better. At a minimum i know I would gain the interface on the speedometer display.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I don't have any experience with the P3. But the big difference would be antilock trailer brakes with the OEM controller and without antilock brakes with the P3.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 279 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
I don't have any experience with the P3. But the big difference would be antilock trailer brakes with the OEM controller and without antilock brakes with the P3.
Huh? The integrated brake controller does not provide anti lock brakes to the trailer (nor does any brake controller). The trailer itself would have to be equipped with anti lock brakes.

As to the original question, I would go with the integrated controller for the reasons you already mentioned, and it just looks better. Too bad you already drilled into your new truck to install the P3.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I spent the $250 to have the Ford controller installed by the dealer, and love it. Looks and works well, and displays on your screen when you hit the brakes.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brad34
Huh? The integrated brake controller does not provide anti lock brakes to the trailer (nor does any brake controller). The trailer itself would have to be equipped with anti lock brakes.

As to the original question, I would go with the integrated controller for the reasons you already mentioned, and it just looks better. Too bad you already drilled into your new truck to install the P3.
Very minimal drilling to mount the P3. I have it installed in the footwell, very out of site so removing it isn't an issue. I am going to go with the integrated controller after thinking about it.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 279 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirrd
Very minimal drilling to mount the P3. I have it installed in the footwell, very out of site so removing it isn't an issue. I am going to go with the integrated controller after thinking about it.
Right. Just two small screws. I had a P3 in my last vehicle. Still stinks though.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad34
Huh? The integrated brake controller does not provide anti lock brakes to the trailer
Actually it does, to a degree. When the truck slides a tire the ABS pump takes over and reduces brake line pressure to a point that gets the wheels turning. Brake line pressure is what the ITBC uses to determine its baseline output, which is then biased by the gain setting . Assuming the factory controller is properly adjusted (just at the threshold of skidding/dry pavement) the reduction in braking effort to the trailer will be pretty linear to that of the truck. Now if the gain is set significantly too high, it won't do you any good. The trailer will still lock up.

Last edited by PerryB; 04-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by bisjoe
I spent the $250 to have the Ford controller installed by the dealer, and love it. Looks and works well, and displays on your screen when you hit the brakes.
Just got a quote from my dealer to install the OEM controller....$375
Old 04-10-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I paid about $120 for the controller. Installed it myself. Dealership charged about $100 for the programming.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Swordmaster
Just got a quote from my dealer to install the OEM controller....$375
You are being ripped off.

If you do some research, you'll find that the trailer brake controller can be bought from a Ford dealer for $120 or less. Programming can be done for free with FORScan. A dealer would take maybe 15 minutes max, usually less. $375 is simply robbery UNLESS your truck is one of the ones with the incorrect fusebox. Many threads on that.
The following users liked this post:
ajef7885 (06-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Brake Controllers