Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best trailer weight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best trailer weight?

Hi Folks,

I have a 2012 F-150 that is rated to tow 5,800 #. Can you give me a dry trailer weight recommendation? What would be a comfortable size (weight) trailer to haul?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

You are going to get a wide variety of answers on this one Micki. There are those who exceed the truck ratings and think it is fine. I'm on the other side; that is staying below the limits. I think it is safer, easier on your truck, and less stressful for you. The farther you are towing and the more mountainous, the lower you want to be as a percentage on your maximum. So, based on that, IMO you should target between 70 and 90%.

Only you can decide what philosophy is right for you.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Micki
Hi Folks,

I have a 2012 F-150 that is rated to tow 5,800 #. Can you give me a dry trailer weight recommendation? What would be a comfortable size (weight) trailer to haul?
3000 lbs You answered you own question
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the info. Hubby and I are looking at a 20' Jayco Swift - dry weight is 2750 lbs, fully loaded 3500 lbs. With 2 adults (and 2 small beagles) we travel rather light so I don't think we will get to those 3500 lbs.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounds like a perfect combination. Good luck and welcome to the site!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Folks,

I had a 2008 nissan fronty that was rated to tow 5800,so i bought a jayco 22fb that weighs 4500 dry,the nissan did great,4 mos later i traded for a f150 and now i wish i had a bigger camper.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

No one can answer that question without a lot more information. But dry trailer weight is a terrible specification to rely on. If you don't want to be overloaded by the middle of your third RV trip, then use the GVWR of the trailer to match trailer to tow vehicle.

You apparently have a SuperCab shorty 4x2 with 3.7L V6 engine and 3.73 axle ratio. That's the only 2012 F-150 configuration with a tow rating of 5,800 pounds, and its GCWR is 11,100. But your tow rating is probably overstated. The GCWR is a good number, but its probably not your limiter as to the weight of a TT you can tow without being overloaded. Your limiter is probably the GVWR of the F-150, which is used to determine your available payload for hauling the hitch weight of a TT.

So here's the way you determine the heaviest trailer you can tow without being overloaded:

GVWR of your F-150
minus the wet and loaded weight of your F-150 with the hitch but without the trailer tied on
= maximum hitch weight you can have without exceeding the GVWR of the F-150.

Maximum hitch weight you can have without exceeding the GVWR of the F-150
divided by 0.15 (15%)
= maximum GVWR of any TT you want to buy.

So load the F-150 with all the people, pets, tools, snacks, drinks, and anything else that will be in the pickup when towing. Include the shank and ball mount from your hitch. Go to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck scale (CAT or J scale or equivalent), fill up with gas, and weigh the wet and loaded F-150. If you don't have the hitch yet, add 50 pounds for the estimated weight of the shank and ball mount of the hitch).

As a double check, compute your real-world tow rating as the GCWR minus the wet and loaded weight of your F-150. That tow rating will probably be more than the max trailer weight you computed above. But a lot less than the 5,800 pounds tow rating Ford estimated for your truck. But go by the answer that results in the least trailer weight - which will probably be available payload for hitch weight divided by 15%.

I suspect you can tow either the model 184BH or 185RB without exceeding either the GVWR or GCWR of your F-150. GVWR for both Jaycos is 3,500 pounds with 525 pounds wet and loaded hitch weight. Ignore Jayco's spec for dry hitch weight. You won't be towing a dry trailer. Count on 525 pounds hitch weight if you don't overload the trailer.

Last edited by smokeywren; 09-04-2013 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PARIAH (09-10-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
No one can answer that question without a lot more information. But dry trailer weight is a terrible specification to rely on. If you don't want to be overloaded by the middle of your third RV trip, then use the GVWR of the trailer to match trailer to tow vehicle.

You apparently have a SuperCab shorty 4x2 with 3.7L V6 engine and 3.73 axle ratio. That's the only 2012 F-150 configuration with a tow rating of 5,800 pounds, and its GCWR is 11,100. But your tow rating is probably overstated. The GCWR is a good number, but its probably not your limiter as to the weight of a TT you can tow without being overloaded. Your limiter is probably the GVWR of the F-150, which is used to determine your available payload for hauling the hitch weight of a TT.

So here's the way you determine the heaviest trailer you can tow without being overloaded:

GVWR of your F-150
minus the wet and loaded weight of your F-150 with the hitch but without the trailer tied on
= maximum hitch weight you can have without exceeding the GVWR of the F-150.

Maximum hitch weight you can have without exceeding the GVWR of the F-150
divided by 0.15 (15%)
= maximum GVWR of any TT you want to buy.

So load the F-150 with all the people, pets, tools, snacks, drinks, and anything else that will be in the pickup when towing. Include the shank and ball mount from your hitch. Go to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck scale (CAT or J scale or equivalent), fill up with gas, and weigh the wet and loaded F-150. If you don't have the hitch yet, add 50 pounds for the estimated weight of the shank and ball mount of the hitch).

As a double check, compute your real-world tow rating as the GCWR minus the wet and loaded weight of your F-150. That tow rating will probably be more than the max trailer weight you computed above. But a lot less than the 5,800 pounds tow rating Ford estimated for your truck. But go by the answer that results in the least trailer weight - which will probably be available payload for hitch weight divided by 15%.

I suspect you can tow either the model 184BH or 185RB without exceeding either the GVWR or GCWR of your F-150. GVWR for both Jaycos is 3,500 pounds with 525 pounds wet and loaded hitch weight. Ignore Jayco's spec for dry hitch weight. You won't be towing a dry trailer. Count on 525 pounds hitch weight if you don't overload the trailer.
Thanks for all the information although things seem far more complicated that we expected. We're going with the 185RB. We were originally towing a Fleetwood pup-up with the F-150 and will now be getting this hard shell trailer. I think we will be fine, also.

Quick Reply: Best trailer weight?