Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BASIC 7 pin connector troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default BASIC 7 pin connector troubleshooting

I really should do a little before asking, but I own a 2008 Lariat 2WD with the "Trailer Tow Package", a $350 window sticker option. There is a 7 pin (and 4 pin) electrical connector. I've had this truck for 4 years and never pulled anything. We have the opportunity to borrow a boat for our next spring family vacation, and I'm doing my homework.

From Ford literature, that package is "required to tow over 5,000 lbs" The next package is apparently the HDPP for 11,000 lbs and seems to include the 7 lug wheels ... I don't have that. The boat we MIGHT be using won't tax even a 5000 limit ... I'd guess at 2500-3000, a 17' outboard.

As part of my homework, I bought a trailer electrical tester. It plugs in fine, but nothing illuminates with parking lights, flashers or turn signals on. I've played with electronics and wiring (trailers, boats, radios, etc; I have too many voltmeters to count.

Before I dig in to the pinout for the connector, is there a fuse or connector that would disconnect the 7 pin connector? I didn't try the 4 pin.

Obviously, the tester could be bad ... with the pinout, I can test the tester too .... but haven't.

Thanks for your ideas.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:50 PM

Received 438 Likes on 379 Posts

Check the ground, which should be screwed into the driver’s side inner frame rail by the spare tire. If that is cleaned up, check fuses 36 and 42 which go out to the brake lights and turn signals. Relays R201 and R301 matter as well. Make sure they are present.

https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/for...x-diagram.html

Last edited by Johnny Paycheck; 10-28-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:05 PM
llr

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Is the boat 7 or 4 pin? My guess would be 4.

There may be fuses or relays that cam in the glove box instead of being installed.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=Johnny Paycheck;6745974]Check the ground, which should be screwed into the driver’s side inner frame rail by the spare tire. If that is cleaned up, check fuses 36 and 42 which go out to the brake lights and turn signals. Relays R201 and R301 matter as well. Make sure they are present.

Thanks! Everything I observed would be explained by no ground; I'll do that first. I noted in your diagram that there is a separate fuse for trailer brake/turn (one left, one right), and that's all I'm SURE I looked at. This 70 year-old excuse of a body hates to get on the concrete, but that's apparently necessary if the fuses and relays are OK. Much appreciation!

George
Old 10-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by llr
Is the boat 7 or 4 pin? My guess would be 4.

There may be fuses or relays that cam in the glove box instead of being installed.
I agree with your guess; I don't know.

I've got the relay/fuse listing and will check "goodness" and presence.

THANKS

Quick Reply: BASIC 7 pin connector troubleshooting