Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems with the Equalizer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Any problems with the Equalizer hitch

I have been having some problems with sway pulling my trailer, I have an eaz lift round bar hitch with one sway control. I am considering replacing the hitch with an Equalizer 4 point wdh, I am pulling a 24’ travel trailer loaded at about 6500 lbs. If you have one of these hitches have you had any problems towing or otherwise and how is it to hook up. I do tow up one road every summer that starts out with a pretty steep incline so I am not sure how well it will flex. It is heavier than my current hitch so I looked at the Andersen but it’s reviews are either good or bad.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Your going to need to trade the truck. It’s over 5k pounds and you’ll never be happy.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

There’s an underlying cause of the sway you’re experiencing that may or may not be resolved by changing to the Equalizer. I’ve been using a Equalizer for the last eight years and a round bar type prior. The main thing I noticed was that the Equalizer made for a stiffer ride. It wasn’t so bad that I felt like I had to replace it though, but the hitch is about worn out and I’ll be going back to the standard round bar design. It’s done it’s job well and is no harder than what you have to use and setup. I’ve never had an issue with sway with the Equalizer but didn’t with round bar system either. I towed thousands of miles with the round bar without any sway control installed on various different trailers with no sway.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 8100hd
There’s an underlying cause of the sway you’re experiencing that may or may not be resolved by changing to the Equalizer. I’ve been using a Equalizer for the last eight years and a round bar type prior. The main thing I noticed was that the Equalizer made for a stiffer ride. It wasn’t so bad that I felt like I had to replace it though, but the hitch is about worn out and I’ll be going back to the standard round bar design. It’s done it’s job well and is no harder than what you have to use and setup. I’ve never had an issue with sway with the Equalizer but didn’t with round bar system either. I towed thousands of miles with the round bar without any sway control installed on various different trailers with no sway.
I would like to believe that the sway is caused by something other than the truck but I didn’t have the problem with my 02 Silverado 1500 and I have tried adjusting my hitch through it’s range with no difference. These trucks have the power but when towing they just aren’t as stabile so I am now looking at how to just lock the trailer more solidly behind the truck.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

What kind of tires do you have? An LT with a rating of D or E will have a lot less sidewall flex than any P series tire. Ride quality will suffer, but welcome to first world problems. Also you were right about the Andersen. Being light is about it's only virtue. It has poor load distributing capability due to poor geometry, and gets it's sway control through a plastic friction bushing that's prone to slipping out of its hub.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by PerryB
What kind of tires do you have? An LT with a rating of D or E will have a lot less sidewall flex than any P series tire. Ride quality will suffer, but welcome to first world problems. Also you were right about the Andersen. Being light is about it's only virtue. It has poor load distributing capability due to poor geometry, and gets it's sway control through a plastic friction bushing that's prone to slipping out of its hub.
I already upgraded my tires to C rated LT tires. I ran the Toyo AT C rated tires on the last truck with no problems, now on this truck I am running the same tires except they are AT2’s.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Siskiyou
..... I have tried adjusting my hitch through it’s range with no difference. These trucks have the power but when towing they just aren’t as stabile so I am now looking at how to just lock the trailer more solidly behind the truck.
I trust that once the hitch was set up to your desire, you took the truck and trailer across a scale to ensure proper front and drive axle weights along with a tongue weight within 10-15% of the overall trailer weight?

Please share...
Old 11-23-2017, 02:48 PM

Yes, more than once, I even went so far as to buy a tongue scale. I also noticed that this truck had a lot more play when the hitch went into the receiver than my old truck. I made a spacer which took most of the play out and helped to make the trailer more stabile and stopped the banging on the suspension. All that is left now is some sway on the Interstate at around 60 to 65 mph.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have towed over 5000 miles with an equalizer...all through the Appalachian mountains—and I did it with a small engine, low cargo Tundra. The hitch performed flawlessly and I recommend it.

My trailer is 26 feet and 6500 pounds, so a close cousin of what you are pulling. 65 mph on the interstate without a whisper of sway.

Easy to conmect and disconnect. Love it.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Equalizer is a good hitch. Love mine.