Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another WDH question

Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Another WDH question

Please bear with me, I am new to WDHs.

I have learned a huge amount here about towing heavy, payload vs tow capacity, and WDHs.

I want to get a WDH because I have a couple of different trailers that when loaded to the max could be above the 500/5000 lb capacity of my 2016 hitch, 2.7l screw, 3.55, 4x4. I don't usually load that heavy but could come close on occasion and would prefer the improved driving characteristics with a WDH for breaking, squat, headlight aim, etc.

How would I set this hitch up for 2 different trailers? Is it easier to just have 1 designated hitch set up for each trailer? That gets expensive and seems overkill for my use. I could potentially have a gvw of each trailer of 3500-6000 depending on what I am hauling. Empty or low weight I would obviously not use the hitch. That still leaves a large range and it seems that you need to do some tinkering to get them dialled in depending on the actual weight.

This seems quite cumbersome on a variable weight trailer, unlike a trailer with a generally fixed weight like a camper. Set it and forget it.

Am I over thinking this and could I find a sweet spot for this load range? I realize I will need additional brackets for multiple trailers.

I currently would used this on a large flatbed and 7x14 enclosed.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

Every hitch is setup differently so I can only comment on mine. I use a Reese Tow Power with a separate sway bar controller to tow my 6000lb GVW camper.

My hitch has the chains that connect to the WDH bars. I usually latch the chain up an extra link when I have a heavy load on my bed, like the ATV. There is some adjustment. I would adjust it to max load and then add less chain tension as the load decreases.

Im sure other hitches may offer better options but IMO you are well within the towing limits of the truck, even though it's a 2.7, and won't notice much of a difference.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:18 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicaladvantage
How would I set this hitch up for 2 different trailers? Is it easier to just have 1 designated hitch set up for each trailer? ...
I currently would used this on a large flatbed and 7x14 enclosed.

I have a an expensive ProPride WD hitch as well as a Reese Strait-Line. I would love to use the ProPride on both my 5k TT and my 7k 7x14 cargo trailer, because it has slightly better sway control under extreme conditions. But it's simply too much of a PITA to move it from one trailer to the other. So I use the ProPride on the TT and the Strait-Line on the cargo trailer.

Both hitches do almost identical job of weight distribution, but the ProPride will control a few extreme sway-causing conditions that the Strait-Line might not control.

So I would vote for a separate hitch for each trailer. But maybe start with one WD hitch to share with both trailers. Try moving it from one trailer to the other, then setting it up to handle the tongue weight of each trailer. You may enjoy the work of twisting wrenches more than I do.

For most brands of WD hitches, you can buy the brackets that bolt onto the trailer without buying the entire hitch. And for the Strait-Line, the sway control system can be purchased seperately The head, shank and spring bars are easy to move from one trailer to another for most brands of WD hitches. But not including the ProPride or Hensley Arrow.

For example, to use my Reese Strait-Line on two different trailers without a lot of grief of moving it, I would need two sets of the lift-up brackets and the dual cam sway control system, then I could quickly hook up the Head/shank/spring bars to either trailer. Adjusting the spring bars to handle various tongue weights is no problem - the more tongue weight, the more tension on the spring bars.

Search this Thread