Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 pin 7 pin needs and uses.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4 pin 7 pin needs and uses.

Was looking for some info on this and was surprised there isn't a sticky here, so I have a few questions.

I only have a 4 pin on my truck, no tow package.

From my understanding 7 pin basically adds breaking and auxiliary power over a 4pin?
What kind of things would I tow that would use a 4pin?
What kind of things would I tow that would use a 7pin?

I have seen some adapters to convert a 4 pin to 7 / 4 pin combo.
They seem to just plug into your current 4 pin and then you splice some other wires in.

I'm thinking about doing this just to have all bases covered in the event I ever need to haul something so I wont be caught off guard.

Is a brake controller required for a 7 pin or only if the item youre towing needs it (Im guess it would be large campers and such things that would need this)

Aside from the brake controller, is there anything else be needed going from a 4 to 7 pin.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:56 PM
AutoXer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7 pin is pretty much only there to provide for the brake controller.

Any trailer with electronic brakes you will need a 7 pin connector and brake controller. If the trailer gross weight is over 3000 lbs you should have a brake controller and the trailer should have it's own brakes.

If you convert to a 7 pin connector and have a brake controller you can still tow something smaller without trailer brakes, you just need a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. They sell them a lot of places.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

4 pins light duty trailers..lights only..

7 pin hd trailers- with electric brakes(brake controller)/ batterys(charging)/reverse light(still looking to see a trailer with backup lights..
Name:  7-way_zps702153a8.jpg
Views: 14142
Size:  76.7 KB

Last edited by Steve Osborne; 04-14-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 AM

So to turn a 4 pin into a tow package, its just the 7pin and brake controller?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Nervosa
So to turn a 4 pin into a tow package, its just the 7pin and brake controller?
The 7-pin RV connector has three wires that are not in the flat-4 "U-Haul" connector.

1. Trailer brakes, requires trailer brake controller (TBC) and wired up right to power the TBC.

2. Battery charge/12-volt hot wire. RV trailers include at least one 12-volt battery that must be charged and maintained while on the road. Even cargo trailers have an itty bitty 12-volt battery to power the emergency disconnect switch (the switch that locks up the trailer brakes if the trailer gets loose from the tow vehicle.)

3. Auxiliary 12-volt hot wire - not usually wired on most RV trailers - identified as backup lights on Steve's wiring diagram, but as Steve mentioned, RV trailers with backup lights are rare.

What kind of things would I tow that would use a 4pin?
Utility trailers that don't have brakes or an on-board battery. Usually not more than about 3,000 pounds GVWR, but some utility trailers have GVWR of up to 5,000 pounds without brakes or battery.

What kind of things would I tow that would use a 7pin?
Any trailer with electric brakes or a battery. Generally called an "RV" plug, but my cargo trailer also has brakes and a break-away battery, so it has a 7-pin plug.

Last edited by smokeywren; 04-15-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM

I found a spec sheet that lists differences between the towing packages on 2013.

7-Wire Harness & 4-/7-Pin Connector
Aux. Auto Trans. Oil Cooler
Radiator Upgrade
Upgraded Rear Bumper
Trailer Brake Controller
Trailer Sway Control

If I switch to a 7 pin, what else would be recommended?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM
tll

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
3. Auxiliary 12-volt hot wire - not usually wired on most RV trailers - identified as backup lights on Steve's wiring diagram, but as Steve mentioned, RV trailers with backup lights are rare.
This wire does power up when I shift my truck into reverse. It is there to activate a hydraulic lock out solenoid found on trailers with hydraulic surge style-disc brakes. The lockout solenoid must be powered when backing otherwise the brakes will activte and lock the wheels up. Boat trailers commonly need this feature.
The feature was not designed to turn on backup lights, but could be used that way.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nervosa
I found a spec sheet that lists differences between the towing packages on 2013.

7-Wire Harness & 4-/7-Pin Connector - need to use 7 pin trailer connector
Aux. Auto Trans. Oil Cooler - Always a good idea, but required by Ford for the over 5000 lb tow capacity
Radiator Upgrade - required by Ford for the over 5000 lb tow capacity, but not something you''ll realy add
Upgraded Rear Bumper - required for the over 5000 lb tow capacity, ie it incorporates the heavier rated hitch
Trailer Brake Controller - Always a good idea, but required for trailer with electric brakes, which is depended on the state in which it is purchased, i.e. NY requires brakes on over 1200 lb factory weight trailers which includes all but the smallest popup campers, had a Jayco 806, 1400lbs factory dry that had electric.
Trailer Sway Control - factory added to work with factory brake controller

If I switch to a 7 pin, what else would be recommended?
I would not "Switch" but instead install a multi-tow, it has both a 4 pin and 7 pin. I would install an Aux trany cooler, and if you have a need install the brake controller, if not wire up all (the lights and 12v hot) but the brake lead (run a brake lead to the cab while your under it in case you ever plan to get an RV trailer.

FYI: I have seen reverse lights on 5th wheelers. It may be a state requirement.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by tll
This wire does power up when I shift my truck into reverse. It is there to activate a hydraulic lock out solenoid found on trailers with hydraulic surge style-disc brakes. The lockout solenoid must be powered when backing otherwise the brakes will activte and lock the wheels up. Boat trailers commonly need this feature.
The feature was not designed to turn on backup lights, but could be used that way.

been so long since i used surge brake equipt trailers...forgot some have this..thanks..
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by tomb1269
I would install an Aux trany cooler
Not really sure what would be worth getting.

I did a search on amazon and found this.
Dorman 918-204 Transmission Oil Cooler : Amazon.com : Automotive Dorman 918-204 Transmission Oil Cooler : Amazon.com : Automotive
Looks kinda tiny. Would this work or is there a better brand I should look into.

Last edited by Nervosa; 04-15-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: not sure why its posting two links

Quick Reply: 4 pin 7 pin needs and uses.