Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F150 Tow package and swaying nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2017 F150 Tow package and swaying nightmare

I have a 2017 F150 XL STX4 with tow package (plus 3.55 gear) and 7000# package. Here's the equipment list:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/v...inDecoderFarea

I bought and tried to drive a Shadow Cruiser 251 RKS LIKE THIS:

https://www.cruiserrv.com/sc-251rks

I have extensive towing experience as i am a former RV transporter for the northern Indiana RV manufacturers. I traveled just over 200K delivering trailers all over the US and western Canada.

The trailer had the kitchen located in the rear and I had expressed some concern about that much weight behind the axles. I was told it was absolutely no problem. When hooking up the weight distribution hitch, I realized they had (and were) filled the on on board water tank. I asked why and was told it was just so I could see how it towed with a load of water aboard. I said I probably wouldn't ever pull with a load of water aboard and to please dump it.

Paper work was soon done and we left the dealer and entered the Interstate. Approaching 50 mph, the trailer began to sway and by 55 mph was virtually uncontrollable. I returned to the dealer, explained the problem and they made some minor corrections to the hitch. I took off again and this time the sway almost dumped us on the highway. I used the brake controller to get the trailer under control and returned to the dealer to return the trailer and tear up the paper work.

I am pretty sure the trailer was way to heavy in the rear but the dealer claims all aluminum bodied F150s are having this same problem.

Comments? Any one have a similar experience?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure what the body panels have to do with towing... Looks like a nice TT, too bad it didn't work out. Try another brand, it's not the truck.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry its not the truck. it was either the WDH setup or trailer issues.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Given its dry weight of 5400lb and only a 380lb tongue weight, I think you are correct that this TT is heavily rear weighted. For comparison sake my TT is 100lbs lighter and has 100lbs more tongue weight (dry weights). And mine has an outdoor kitchen in the rear.

From the pictures of it I could find it does look like the axles are further forward than mine.

I can't tell how big the front storage areas are but you may be able to carry a lot of stuff in them and not the truck bed to add weight to the front (not a bad thing).
Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I also think that is a big trailer for that truck. My 2016 is set-up better for towing (max tow w/3.73, Timbrens, etc.) and I wouldn't tow anything bigger than my 7000lb GVWR TT.

But in this case, the TT was empty and I assume the TV was pretty empty so this was a WDH setup issue combined with the characteristics of the TT (imho).
Old 07-28-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BudMan5
I have a 2017 F150 XL STX4 with tow package (plus 3.55 gear) and 7000# package. Here's the equipment list:

I have extensive towing experience as i am a former RV transporter for the northern Indiana RV manufacturers. I traveled just over 200K delivering trailers all over the US and western Canada.

The trailer had the kitchen located in the rear and I had expressed some concern about that much weight behind the axles. I was told it was absolutely no problem. When hooking up the weight distribution hitch, I realized they had (and were) filled the on on board water tank. I asked why and was told it was just so I could see how it towed with a load of water aboard. I said I probably wouldn't ever pull with a load of water aboard and to please dump it.

Paper work was soon done and we left the dealer and entered the Interstate. Approaching 50 mph, the trailer began to sway and by 55 mph was virtually uncontrollable. I returned to the dealer, explained the problem and they made some minor corrections to the hitch. I took off again and this time the sway almost dumped us on the highway. I used the brake controller to get the trailer under control and returned to the dealer to return the trailer and tear up the paper work.

I am pretty sure the trailer was way to heavy in the rear but the dealer claims all aluminum bodied F150s are having this same problem.

Thanks in advance
The new trucks don't tow like the older heavier ones. For one a heavier truck isn't pushed around as easy as a lighter one. Second when Ford went aluminum they made the suspension softer which doesn't help either.
Having said this, neither of these are your issue. You don't have enough tongue weight.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Boosting Traveler

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BudMan5

Thanks in advance
I have the Lariat 3.5 EB 2017 Max-Tow diff Locker 3.55 gears and had issues with my 8k WDH (weight distribution hitch)..the 32' travel trailer swayed pretty bad..trailer was 6700# dry. With max TT weight of 7900#. I got it weighed in at cat scale it was 8000# (slightly over) and my tongue was 1000# (way over). My axles are pretty far back on the TT and water tank (full at this time) is forward of axles so you can see why tongue weight was high. The 8k WDH was doing nothing for me. I have since done a couple things...

one move plenty of gear to the rear to offset my (way over ) tongue weight and

two got a 12k WDH that "eliminates" sway.

Three weigh in at the scales it's cheap

I also installed my own Airlift 5k air bags to help with bucking/leveling (this was done long before my new WDH setup). I think though these trucks are sensitive to towing my honest 28 hr trailer trip opinion. I leveled my trailer took all the measurements, coupler to ground back bumper to ground both even (now) adjusted air bags and upgraded to beefier WDH. Even still after all this, if it is windy on the interstate I do notice "some" sway. I will say it is an 70% increase of stability over my first setup and the matter of managing my cargo better. My point here is you probably have 200# of tongue weight or virtually none, this is bad. You need to take your rig (when you decide to purchase again) and weigh it all and also the individual axles and find out where that weight is, as well as the tongue weight. This will give you an edge to appropriate your cargo and what WDH kit to buy. We can speculate but until you weigh it's hard to say. Hope this helps out.

Last edited by Eco_BooSted; 07-28-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Boosting Traveler

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
The new trucks don't tow like the older heavier ones. For one a heavier truck isn't pushed around as easy as a lighter one. Second when Ford went aluminum they made the suspension softer which doesn't help either.
Having said this, neither of these are your issue. You don't have enough tongue weight.
10-4 here exactly what I said too👌
Old 07-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like you need more tongue weight.

I am pulling a similar trailer, 25.5 feet long, 7000 LBS Rear Kitchen.

I had some issues just like yours with the light tongue weight.

Then I put most of my gear towards the front of the trailer, and filled 3/4 full water tank.

I found the sway totally eliminated.

As massspike said "Given its dry weight of 5400lb and only a 380lb tongue weight", you definitely need more tongue weight, ESPECIALLY when using a WDH.

Try filling the tank with water and taking a spin.

That trailer is very nice BTW.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Thats dry tongue weight. Did you have 2 full lp tanks? Battery? If so, you're closer to 500 pound TW. Still light but not by much. I had a bad sway problem with a 23 footer. All in the wdh, dealer had it all screwed up. Husky Centerline..