Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F150 Tow package bad ground???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2016 F150 Tow package bad ground???

So here is my issue.

Lights on the trailer are very dim, brake, turn and running light don’t illuminate. Side marker is on, but very dim.

Trailer is new. Grounds are all solid. Problem persists whether i use the 4 pin or the 4 pin to 7 blade adapter.

Now, if I half insert the plug to make the light connections and then use a jumper from the ground pin on the truck to the ground of the trailer everything comes to life.

I am assuming the truck ground is bad. But how? 2016, 18,000 miles. No corrosion on terminals.

where is the ground located on the truck side so I can check it is secure??

Thanks all!!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

Is the ground just through the ball on the truck?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

If the ground works running a separate wire from the truck connector ground to the trailer ground it sounds like the problem is in the trailer connector to me. If it was the truck side I would have expected the jumper to have a problem as well. It could be that the female ground on the trailer side is oversized or corroded. I would see if you can make it tighter by pinching it in some way.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old_programmer
If the ground works running a separate wire from the truck connector ground to the trailer ground it sounds like the problem is in the trailer connector to me. If it was the truck side I would have expected the jumper to have a problem as well. It could be that the female ground on the trailer side is oversized or corroded. I would see if you can make it tighter by pinching it in some way.
nailed it. I wasn’t looking at the problem the right way. It was the connector. Replaced that and all was well. Now my left turn signal doesn’t work but I think that is the LED light itself.

Going to to swap it and THEN I should be good!

Thabks for the help.

Quick Reply: 2016 F150 Tow package bad ground???