Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Towing Help

Old 09-04-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2015 Towing Help

Well I am about to order a 15' and trade in my 2011 5.0 Platinum to prepare for the purchase of a new TT. I posted in another section a little while back about this situation, but I was unsure about what truck I was going to go with. Was at the dealer today, and I am about to pull the trigger on an order and want to make sure I got things right. First here is the trailer we REALLY want.

Keystone Cougar 28RBS
Dry Weight:6338lbs
Hitch Weight:955lbs

Carrying Capacity:1862

Added Payload:Four Occupants in the vehicle me=210lbs, wife=150lbs, 2 small children=100lbs (combined).
WD Hitch=100lbs?
Total Payload=1515, plus the stuff I put in the bed.

I am looking at ordering a basic SuperCrew XLT Sport Apparent Package with 20'' wheels, with the 3.5 Eco Max Tow Package. I cannot purchase the HD Payload due to the length of the bed requirements.

So without knowing the release of payload yet on the 15's would it be irresponsible and crazy to think I would be within safety payload specs? I would imagine I would have a payload of at least 1700 on an XLT Supercrew? Trying to hold out as long as possible, but the miles are racking up on my truck and I need new tires and brakes soon.

Lastly should I just get the 18'' wheels that come with it and switch them out for an E rated tire? I really want the 20'' wheels though, the 18's look too small to me on these trucks. I hear people talk about doing a "new swap" right when I get the truck. Is this done at the dealer or at a tire shop? Thanks again for helping out a rookie first time TT owner. I have been learning as much as I can on the topic, and a 3/4 would be ideal, but this is my daily driver and I need the size the F150 has to fit in the garage with the 5.5 bed.

Last edited by borninblue; 09-04-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 AM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Just as reference my 2013 Eco max tow XLT has a max payload of 1,800 lbs so I'm sure the newer tricked should be higher than that.

With that kind of weight and not knowing the actual towing specifications yet I would either get one with the HD payload package (which you said Wasent an option) and be safe or wait till they release the new towing numbers and then buy the truck.

Nothing is worse than a $45,000 mistake. I am sure the 18" rims will give you a better payload number than the 20".
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Yes, order the HD Payload package if at all possible.
Otherwise it's a crap-shoot.

Your Loaded tongue weight could easily be 1150#, like mine is with a similar trailer weight-wise.

And there is no guarantee that with the Al bodies of the 2015s, their payloads will be any better. Seems they are reducing the GVWR of the trucks as well and putting in lighter axles and such.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I pull nearly the exact same size TT with my MaxTow F150. Mine weighs in at about 7800# loaded with 1100# tongue weight and 32' long. It's really right at the top of the GVWR and depending on if I have any gear in the truck, I'm usually a couple hundred pounds over. Honestly the half-ton pickup is just too small (payload) for realistic towing at that size. Will it pull it down the road, sure, but you have to think about longevity of the vehicle when towing at 100% capacity every time you head out. Mine is at the shop AS I WRITE THIS for diagnostics and repairs related to transmission and rear axle, and I have less than 15k on it!

My advice to you is go F250. They're nearly the exact same size (little longer bed with the F250), but your payload will double and it removes the cap on what type of trailers you might shop for. When we bought our most recent TT we had to squeeze it in to what the F150 could tow and ended up compromising on size. We now regret that decision.

Just a friendly thought to consider!
PS: The F250/F350 PSD motor is refreshed for 2015 and delivers 800ft-lbs of torque
Old 09-04-2014, 10:43 AM

I was afraid of what you were all going to tell me, but I guess that trailer is too much. The HD Payload option would be my best bet, but the truck won't fit in the garage with the bed. Same thing about going to any 3/4 ton they won't fit with the extra length. The last option is this trailer.

Keystone Outback 250RS

5955 Dry
1595 Carrying Capacity
640 Tongue Weight.

With the drop in tongue weight I should be fine with just the Max Tow Eco right?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Just looked up that keystone. Wonder what makes it so nose-heavy? Looks like a pretty standard floor plan but the hitch weight is over 15%. My advice, don't compromise on the trailer. I'm living with a travel trailer that's too small (27ft) and has a poor floor plan (I know, first world problems lol) and we don't use it very often because it's just not comfortable. Looking to upgrade to a 35 footer with a much better floor plan. I would get the camper you want and get the truck to pull it. Might have to park it outside

Last edited by king nothing; 09-04-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntrk
I pull nearly the exact same size TT with my MaxTow F150. Mine weighs in at about 7800# loaded with 1100# tongue weight and 32' long. It's really right at the top of the GVWR and depending on if I have any gear in the truck, I'm usually a couple hundred pounds over. Honestly the half-ton pickup is just too small (payload) for realistic towing at that size. Will it pull it down the road, sure, but you have to think about longevity of the vehicle when towing at 100% capacity every time you head out. Mine is at the shop AS I WRITE THIS for diagnostics and repairs related to transmission and rear axle, and I have less than 15k on it!...
That is good to know. My family is currently considering upgrading our pop-up to a hard sided TT and I'm quickly realizing that I would have been better off with the HD payload package rather than the Max Tow package.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by king nothing
Just looked up that keystone. Wonder what makes it so nose-heavy? Looks like a pretty standard floor plan but the hitch weight is over 15%. My advice, don't compromise on the trailer. I'm living with a travel trailer that's too small (27ft) and has a poor floor plan (I know, first world problems lol) and we don't use it very often because it's just not comfortable. Looking to upgrade to a 35 footer with a much better floor plan. I would get the camper you want and get the truck to pull it. Might have to park it outside
I don't know what they were thinking with that tongue weight, but the layout is perfect for my family. The fact is I can go larger with some other models and still be within payload because their tongue weight is less. Wanted to stay within 30' and vaulted ceilings. We have looked at 100s of models online and in person we keep coming back to this model.

If I am going to park outside I mine as well go with the 3/4 ton and be done with it. Downfall with that is that it will also be daily driver. Just have a hard time parking a new ride outside with the brutal northern Ohio winters. Do you guys think if I find a trailer we like with a tongue weight around 600lbs we would be OK with just the max tow XLT?

Last edited by borninblue; 09-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:46 PM

I honestly think you would be fine with that keystone you posted. If you add the dry weight to the carrying capacity of he trailer you get a max weight of 8200 pounds. Multiply by .15 and you come up with an ABSOLUTE MAX of 1230 pounds tongue weight add 500 pounds for your family and you get 1730 pounds. The payload on my 13 xlt max-tow Screw is 1760 pounds. I'm going to make an assumption that Ford will not reduce payload capacity in the new trucks. When we go camping I pretty much load everything in the trailer except the grill, firewood, and my daughter's bike. Maybe 200 pounds in the bed. Bottom line, if you load the trailer to its max, you should be within 2 or 300 pounds of your payload capacity. That is a number I'm comfortable with as long as you get the E rated tires. You could rear load the trailer to reduce the tongue weight to 12% as well

Last edited by king nothing; 09-04-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:52 PM

On a side note I don't see why people are so concerned with daily driving a 3/4 ton.... I drove a dodge megacab diesel for years and had no issues. Only reason I have my ecoboost is I couldn't afford a new diesel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Towing Help