Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 7 pin power question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 7 pin power question

Hello all,

I just traded in my 11 f350 for a 15 Lariat eco with the max tow package. I have a 18ft work n play TH. Today I was going to work on the WD Hitch and get it set up and level and take it for a test ride. My trailer jack is powered but it was aftermarket and has a 7 pin that I would just plug into my 350 and turn the key on and it would work. Today on the f150 it would not work. I tried it with the engine on and off. I took a tester and there is now power to the + pin. I think it's the 12v power pin. In the end I hardwired the jack to my trailer battery and it worked fine.

So here is my question. Why does the 12v power pin on the 7 pin have no power and how do I change that? I did a search on this forum and on other year trucks it's noted that ford left out a fuse and relay and people got it with their new trucks. If that's the case I'll go buy them but where does the fuse and relay go? I read the schematic and nothing matches the description. So if any of you know which fuse and relay I need and which number slot they go in it would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure the truck charges my battery as I drive down the road.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 11-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The fuse and relay should have been in the glovebox in a plastic bag. The "dealer prep" or PDI tech was supposed to install them in your power distribution box. But it's easy for you to do it.

First you must find that plastic bag with the fuse and relay in it. Then look again in your Owner's Guide for the "power distribution box" which is under the hood near the front of your engine bay - not the fuse box under the dash. The fuse plugs into one of the open slots in the fuse box area of the power distribution box. The relay plugs into a relay space that's not really inside the power distribution box but on the side of it.

If you can't find that fuse and relay, then I'd go stand on the desk of the service manager and demand that he fix the problem that his techs ovdrlooked during the PDI

Last edited by smokeywren; 11-29-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanks. I plan on calling today. If anyone had to self install these items in the powerdist box under the hood. Let me know which number they went into. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Schlava
Thanks. I plan on calling today. If anyone had to self install these items in the powerdist box under the hood. Let me know which number they went into. Thanks!
The 2015"s are different, they do not have the fuse and relay in a bag in glovebox. You have to connect the trailer's cable to the truck and set up the trailer in the dash screen. Then start the truck and apply the brakes and you will get a trailer connected message on the screen. Now your 12v power wire will be hot. Went through the same thing on my '15 KR. My '13 KR came from the dealer with the fuse and relay already installed, doesn't work that way on the new ones. Just an FYI.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:32 AM

Thanks! When you say "setup" the trailer what do you mean. I hooked my trailer up and I did see the trailer connected message. Do you just mean that the wire will only be hot when connected to the trailer?

I'll mess with this tonight when I get home.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Schlava
Thanks! When you say "setup" the trailer what do you mean. I hooked my trailer up and I did see the trailer connected message. Do you just mean that the wire will only be hot when connected to the trailer?

I'll mess with this tonight when I get home.
If I remember right it asks you to "name" the trailer and also if it's electric brakes or surge brakes. That electric brake part is key to getting the charge wire hot. You can also select it as your primary trailer if you have more than one. Then it will automatically show that trailer when you hook up and will also keep track of the towed mileage on each named trailer also. Pretty slick system! P.S. forgot to say that you go into the trailer setup menu on the dash screen to set this all up.

Last edited by Tx King Ranch; 11-30-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-29-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a problem with a salter. It seems to have no power as well. Has anyone had this problem as well. I plug it in the 7 way connector and it says nothing, like there isn't anything plugged in.

Last edited by ESKALA; 12-29-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 7 pin power question