Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 f150 Rear Bumper Reinforcement/hitch help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 f150 Rear Bumper Reinforcement/hitch help PLEASE

I guess anyone who's had or has this series of truck already knows my issue. What I have, is the 2004 f-150, with tow package, styleside, supercab with a 6.5 box. My problem is the hitch has rusted through and I can't find a dealer to ship me a new one and I'm not putting a used tow hitch on. Now, I know an aftermarket won't work because of the design of the hitch/bumper combo but it will if the truck didn't have the factory with tow package hitch. They use part of the "with out" tow set up for the aftermarket set up. So my question is, will a bumper reinforcement from a truck "with out tow" bolt to the frame of a truck "with tow" in the same manor. And I guess another question would be, are there any other options that I'm not finding on the internet as far putting a new hitch on my truck.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If the bumper is in bad shape too you might consider taking both parts off down to the frame rails are exposed then find a aftermarket HD bumper hitch combo that will bolt up to your frame or you may have to have new brackets fabed up at a professional metal shop but in any case there are lots of options when you forget about bolt on cookie cutter stuff .
Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by travisk76
I guess anyone who's had or has this series of truck already knows my issue. What I have, is the 2004 f-150, with tow package, styleside, supercab with a 6.5 box. My problem is the hitch has rusted through and I can't find a dealer to ship me a new one and I'm not putting a used tow hitch on. .... So my question is, will a bumper reinforcement from a truck "with out tow" bolt to the frame of a truck "with tow" in the same manor. And I guess another question would be, are there any other options that I'm not finding on the internet as far putting a new hitch on my truck.
You just need to find a source for the correct part.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...QtNmwtdjgtZ2Fz

The rear bumper "reinforcement" with tow (i.e., with the receiver hitch) is part number (4L3Z-17D826-DA). It is part of the bumper frame, and is covered up with a plastic bumper cover. Maybe call the dealer above and ask if they can still get that part..

Ford usually ceases production of new parts after about about 10 years, and your 2004 has been around for 14 years, so Ford may not still be producing that part. But maybe a dealer will have one in stock. FordParts.com still shows it is available, so maybe contact them if the discount Ford parts dealer above does not have it.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/ki...itch-6289347-1

But word to the wise. If the rear bumper is "rusted out", then parts other than the reinforcement/receiver hitch may be rusted out too. Click on the little hen-scrathing photo and study that parts diagram above and see what else you may need. For one thing, the plastic bumper cover probably won't survive the R&R.

Last edited by smokeywren; 04-29-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 f150 Rear Bumper Reinforcement/hitch help PLEASE