Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 can it pull it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default 2.7 can it pull it?

Taking payload out of the equation, I am wondering if the 2.7 has the power needed to tow my travel trailer. I know that properly equipped it can tow the weight of it, but how well?

This is the trailer and loaded wet is 6400 pounds. Easily towed with 1500 pound payload truck.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Depends on family and other weight in the truck and in the bed. Get a good wdh
Old 04-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

I imagine power wise it'll be OK. it'll downshift and what not, but the aero drag is the bigger factor for that motor than the weight of that TT.

I remember in the 90s my folks had a 5.2 magnum Ram, that thing had all of like 230hp, and we were towing a TT in the mountains of NC. It wasn't great, or good, merely adequate. 2.7 is a monster of a motor by comparison, with 2 fewer cylinders and 2.5L less displacement!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

In your case I would go through the trouble of figuring the frontal area of the trailer (height by width) and make sure it meets the specs in the owners manual.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Thats what I am asking about, it is a lot of drag. The 3.5 is a beast, but it sucks the go juice in every day driving. Just thinking of a compromise, but have this feeling I won't like how it tows the big trailer. Still waiting on the Diesel to hit the lots so I can see what the payloads are like.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Payloads on diesel will be disappointing I'm betting
Old 04-14-2018, 01:04 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Very nice rig! We have many customers with the 2.7L and 3.5L EcoBoost trucks that use them for towing campers ,travel trailers , and things of this nature with great success. We offer custom tuning specific for towing that would definitely help to make the tow much more enjoyable. Many customers also report better mileage when towing on our tow tunes as well. While we do not increase the amount of max payload you can tow by adding a custom tune, it helps to make the truck be more towing friendly through increasing engine performance, improving throttle response / decreasing lag, and further optimizing the transmission's performance including optimized shift points, firmness, and torque management adjustments as well.

Here is a towing demonstration video we've done years back to show how well our Ecoboost F-150 shop truck can tow with the 93 octane towing performance tune for an example of what is possible. The tow performance improvements on the 2.7L trucks are very similar. Feel free to give us a call , PM, or email if you would like to discuss the towing tunes a bit further and we would be happy to help out.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Thats what I am asking about, it is a lot of drag. The 3.5 is a beast, but it sucks the go juice in every day driving. Just thinking of a compromise, but have this feeling I won't like how it tows the big trailer. Still waiting on the Diesel to hit the lots so I can see what the payloads are like.
I'm getting more than 20 mpg in daily driving with the 3.5. I'm pretty satisfied with that.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

HI acdii you asked I am wondering if the 2.7 has the power needed to tow my travel trailer. I know that properly equipped it can tow the weight of it, but how well?

From personal experience with a 2107 XLT with the 3.73 rearend , It will tow it very well. just make sure you have a good WDH and if using P rated tires, bring the pressure to around 50 PSI in the back and 45 in the front
Old 04-15-2018, 02:15 PM

Since I already know the weights, and distribution with my trailer, and if I ignore the payload the question boils down to will it struggle with a wind sail hooked to it. I'm thinking it will and is why I didn't bother test driving it. I am disappointed with my 16 MPG, it is much lower than my 14 was and they are practically the same truck size and weight wise, main differences are gearing and 4WD, but even that I expected only minimal losses, maybe 18-19 vs 20-21, but I have only got as high as 20.4 and that was once, haven't been able to crack 19 in a very long time. I'm happy sitting at 19-21 range in the truck, but man this current one just sucks gas through a fire hose. It is being replaced at some point which is why I am checking into the 2.7.

I thought about just upping the gears to 3.31 in the current truck, but can't find 3.31 for the rear, only the front. I would go to 3.15, but not made for the front.

I my just order one that matches the 14 and be done with it with RWD and 3.15 gears, drove two winters in the last truck with snow tires, not once did I wish I had 4WD, and the night I crashed 4WD would not have helped one bit.

Quick Reply: 2.7 can it pull it?