Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Factory trailer brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1994 Factory trailer brakes?

I have a 1994 F150 4X4 with a 5.0, E40D and 3.55 gears. It has a factory 7 pin connection that I have used with the 4 pin adaptor for years, so I know that part works.
Since the factory 7 pin wiring is already installed, is the addition wiring already installed for me to add the trailer brakes? If so what all do I need to add to the factory connections?
Old 11-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by FixAcft
Since the factory 7 pin wiring is already installed, is the addition wiring already installed for me to add the trailer brakes? If so what all do I need to add to the factory connections?
1994 was not last week. So you're talking about a 21-year-pld pickup.

Automotive electric is not my thing, so I have an expert at an RV shop or my Ford dealer do it for me.

IIRC, My '99 came with the optional towing pkg that included the 7-pin plug on the rear bumper. But before all the 7 pins worked, the dealer had to install additional relays and fuses that came in the glovebox of the new pickup, but were not actually installed at the factory.

And I also had to install a trailer brake controller that was not available from Ford.

So I bought a new Drawtite Activator II brake controller (still available on the market) and had my RV dealer install the brake controller and do whatever was necessary to make all 7 pins in the 7-pin plug function as designed.
http://www.draw-tite.com/products/br...vJlMKL7g1kJaHD

For certain you must have a trailer brake controller. The Activator worked fine for my use for over 10 years, but there are better ones available now.

In my '99, there was a plug under the dash where the trailer brake controller plugged in. It was a fairly simple procedure for the tech to install the relay and fuse(s) and plug in the trailer brake controller.

The place where the relay plugged into the power distribution box (fuse box) under the hood was installed at the factory as part of the trailer towing pkg. Why they didn't also plug in the relay instead of sticking it in the glovebox is a mistery. If you don't have a place for that relay to plug in, then you must do some wiring to add the plug for that relay.

Last edited by smokeywren; 11-12-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 1994 Factory trailer brakes?