Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,250 Miles Towing a Car Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 1,250 Miles Towing a Car Trailer

I just returned from taking my son (and his Ford Ranger) down to Tucson for Spring Semester at the University of Arizona from NW Wyoming. The trailer is a rental from U-Haul. Here's a picture from S Utah on the way down.

Name:  image_zps852a4ab1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  81.8 KB

The truck is a 2013 FX4 EB. Total mileage for the trip was 2,570. The trailer was dropped off in Tucson after we arrived. Mileage pulling the trailer averaged 12.8 mpg. Mileage coming home averaged 18.5 mpg without the trailer.

I wanted to write a few lines about the 6-speed automatic transmission that backs up the EcoBoost engine; it's amazing! Those of you familiar with I-17 in Arizona know about the descent from the Coconino Plateau down to Verde Valley and ultimately down to the Sonoran Desert. Whether the truck was in cruise or not, it would sense that the truck and trailer were on a steep grade and the transmission would downshift on its own. I was blown away by how good the transmission is. I always thought I would be using the manual shift mode hauling the trailer (I use it a lot for mountain driving without a trailer); didn't need to, in "tow/haul" mode it figures out what to do.

The engine, of course pulls like crazy. Coming up out of Verde Valley heading up to Sunset Point I was passing cars like there was no trailer behind me at all.

I've owned a bunch of F-150s--this is my 6th. This truck is actually my second EcoBoost. I had an FX4 with appearance package and decided I just didn't like it. I don't trailer often, but it's important to me that the truck is capable. Hope this short post answers a couple of the questions those of you out there might be wondering about.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

That grade coming up out of the Verde Valley is a tough one. Being as your from Wyoming I thought I'd ask you a question about a big grade there. About twenty years ago we were traveling with the kids from Yellowstone area going over to the Tetons. We went up and over a grade that was one of the steepest, longest I've ever driven. Can't remember the details of it though, always been curious about it. Have any idea of what I'm talking of, and if so can you fill in for my fading memory?
Is your son studying for the medical field down in Tucson?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 AM

If you went "over the Tetons" that pretty much limits it to Teton Pass. It begins on the Wyoming side in Wilson, just west of Jackson and drops down into Idaho over in Driggs. Steep with lots of sharp curves. Strict size limit on trailers in the warm weather months and no trailers at all in the winter. Lots of people use the pass to commute from ID to the Jackson area for work.

The other possibility is Togwotee Pass between Dubois and the Buffalo Valley just east of Moran (not through the Tetons). That can be pretty formidable when the weather turns dicey.

No, our son is not a med student. I'm an alum of UofA, and he always wanted to go to school there. Non-resident tuition was unattainable for us, but at least he was able to go there under an exchange program. The Alumni Association was helpful in working out the details. Pretty good deal for a student who has endured the weather in Laramie.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Wyatt

Received 163 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TMats
I just returned from taking my son (and his Ford Ranger) down to Tucson for Spring Semester at the University of Arizona from NW Wyoming. The trailer is a rental from U-Haul. Here's a picture from S Utah on the way down.

The truck is a 2013 FX4 EB. Total mileage for the trip was 2,570. The trailer was dropped off in Tucson after we arrived. Mileage pulling the trailer averaged 12.8 mpg. Mileage coming home averaged 18.5 mpg without the trailer.

I wanted to write a few lines about the 6-speed automatic transmission that backs up the EcoBoost engine; it's amazing! Those of you familiar with I-17 in Arizona know about the descent from the Coconino Plateau down to Verde Valley and ultimately down to the Sonoran Desert. Whether the truck was in cruise or not, it would sense that the truck and trailer were on a steep grade and the transmission would downshift on its own. I was blown away by how good the transmission is. I always thought I would be using the manual shift mode hauling the trailer (I use it a lot for mountain driving without a trailer); didn't need to, in "tow/haul" mode it figures out what to do.

The engine, of course pulls like crazy. Coming up out of Verde Valley heading up to Sunset Point I was passing cars like there was no trailer behind me at all.

I've owned a bunch of F-150s--this is my 6th. This truck is actually my second EcoBoost. I had an FX4 with appearance package and decided I just didn't like it. I don't trailer often, but it's important to me that the truck is capable. Hope this short post answers a couple of the questions those of you out there might be wondering about.
I pull that stretch of road every camping season with my 33' Keystone Springdale TT at 8k+....with the cruise control on even though the 6% grades. It is amazing how the Boost handles the load easily, especially coming from a Titan.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TMats

What gearing do you have? Also how fast were you driving to get that mileage? That's awesome!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Wyatt

Received 163 Likes on 136 Posts

^Being a transplant Arizonian for several years now, I know that route very well! And like you I too couldn't believe how the Boost pulled those 6% grades. I just set the cruise.... even with my 8k Springdale TT. She picked the gears and motored up Flagstaff with no problems! I have the 4x4 with 3:73's. Nice story.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:10 AM

3.55 rear end. As far as average speed, I don't know. I sure wasn't driving the "55 mph" that glared at me from the fender of the UHaul every time I glanced in the side mirrors. I'll just say from speed limit to 5 under speed limit most of the way.

Quick Reply: 1,250 Miles Towing a Car Trailer