Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 4.6L XL doesn't have power to trailer light harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 4.6L XL doesn't have power to trailer light harness

I am having trouble with my trailer lights. My post title doesn't even do my issue justice. My problem really goes all the way up to the distribution box.

I recently tried wiring up some cheap aux reverse lights by tapping into the 7 with the 4 pin trailer harness. Thought I was real clever because I was avoiding extra wires to the engine compartment and all that. Turns out it bit me real hard because I must have blown a few things all the way to my distribution box. I originally thought I may have just blown a relay or two and some fuses but when I used my test light on the slots where the relay goes there is nothing (after I popped the new stuff in and still no lights. I don't know what that means. Any advice on what to check/how to check it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you ever have power to the 7 pin, I don't know for sure, but if its an XL and it doesn't have a tow package, there just may not be power to either side of the distribution box, I have a 2010 Canadian Market XLT, and some of the slots in the distribution box for some of the options don't have power to either side. Also are if you've never used the 7 pin, are you sure you have all the relays and fuses in the distribution box.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had power to the 7 pin before, I mainly use the 4 pin, however. Wouldn't the 4 pin not work if the 7 pin isn't since they are connected? I will double check the relay spots just to make sure nothing is missing.

Last edited by KA15; 03-20-2017 at 03:01 PM.