Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb transmission leak

I have a question on f150 transmission while driving at 65 mph my transmission front seal blew out and I lost most of the fluid I coasted off and stopped right away tried to put in gear of couse nothing moved.

I shut down the engine and called aaa for a tow home, in the driveway when I stared the truck fluid still comes out of the bell housing, question is the transmission burned out or just out of fluid at this time no smell of burnt fluid. I know seal is bad what are the best way to approuch the situation.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ford2000
I have a question on f150 transmission while driving at 65 mph my transmission front seal blew out and I lost most of the fluid I coasted off and stopped right away tried to put in gear of couse nothing moved.

I shut down the engine and called aaa for a tow home, in the driveway when I stared the truck fluid still comes out of the bell housing, question is the transmission burned out or just out of fluid at this time no smell of burnt fluid. I know seal is bad what are the best way to approuch the situation.
I dont think you hurt the trans. you or the shop will have to remove the trans and replace the front pump seal it would be a good time to inspect and adjust change filter and fluid in the converter as well and replace the rest of the seals Bubbabud 2011 XLT SC Ecoboost
Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bubba thanks for the info I pulled the trans out and the seal is gone the oil was replaced and filter was new the oil is clean and no smell.

I am going to replace both front and rear seals also the pump seal could the seal have blown out due to over filled trans fluid possibly 2 quarts or just that the seal was old?

thanks
Old 11-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ford2000
Hey Bubba thanks for the info I pulled the trans out and the seal is gone the oil was replaced and filter was new the oil is clean and no smell.

I am going to replace both front and rear seals also the pump seal could the seal have blown out due to over filled trans fluid possibly 2 quarts or just that the seal was old?

thanks
Its possible it is never good to over fill an auto box even by a pint it can cause foaming and air to get mixed with the fluid never a good thing with automatics. I hope you will be good to go when you get back on the road.Bubbabud

Quick Reply: transmission leak