Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSutton1223's 2016 F150 502A FX4 Lariat Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RSutton1223's 2016 F150 502A FX4 Lariat Build

Time to start a build thread. I have a pretty long history of heavily modifying cars (show/road course 500whp Subaru, 1300whp Cadillac CTS-V, road course e92 M3) so messing with the truck is going to be a nice change of pace for a little while. This is my daily and I travel for work so the mods will have to keep that in mind somewhat.

Here is the truck as it sits right now.

2016 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost 502A FX4 - Supercrew w/5.5 foot bed.
  • Tech package
  • Max trailer tow
  • 36 gallon extended range fuel tank
  • Twin panel moonroof
  • Pro trailer backup assist
  • Tailgate step

Current Mods Installed

Exterior
  • Addictive Desert Designs Venom R Front Bumper
  • Matte Black Lariat Grill
  • De-badged and de-stickered

Suspension/Wheels/Tires
  • ProComp 6" lift
  • Fox 2.0 Struts
  • Hostile Alpha's 20x10 -19 Gloss Black and Diamond Cut
  • Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.50

Electronics/Lighting
  • Amazon Bluetooth Rock Lights
  • Amp Power Running Boards
  • 30" LED Curved Light Bar in front bumper

Audio
  • PAC ProAmp
  • Alpine Series R 6.5" Components
  • JL Tw3 12" Sub
  • Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 Processor
  • Alpine PDX-V9 Amp
  • Updated USB Module for Apple CarPlay and Amazon Auto

Upcoming
  • Addictive Desert Designs Venom R Rear Bumper
  • Dual 2" LED's in Rear Bumper
  • Satin Black Front Grill
  • Gloss Black Mirror Caps and Door Handles
  • Limited Steering Wheel

The plans so far are the following...Shine Auto Salon in Alpharetta, GA will be doing the work that I don't do myself.

First...I had to wipe the dealer off the truck, tint the front windows and remove the FX4 stickers.

I also went ahead and upgraded Sync to v2.2 thanks to the thread on these forums.

I am really looking forward to getting started on the build. I'll keep this thread updated with pictures/writeups as things progress or I just get bored and decide to take more shots of the truck in different places.

Last edited by rsutton1223; 12-07-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

great clean ride. looking forward to your upcoming mods.

any pix of your subie?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by v8toy
great clean ride. looking forward to your upcoming mods.

any pix of your subie?
The Subaru. Painted Designo Magno Alanite Grey from Mercedes AMG (matte metallic silver) [sold]

The CTS-V 6MT Sedan (still have it currently)

The e92 M (still have)

Last edited by rsutton1223; 03-09-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to own a wrx hatch as well and I remember following your build thread for yours and always being in awe. When I seen your name on here I was kind of surprised haha, can't wait to see this build get on it's way
Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jasonfx4
I used to own a wrx hatch as well and I remember following your build thread for yours and always being in awe. When I seen your name on here I was kind of surprised haha, can't wait to see this build get on it's way
I had been using a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel as a daily. As much as I love Jeeps, I really never felt connected to that car at all. I wanted a daily I could mod some and tow the boat still. The F150 stood out after my wife said I couldn't lift a 2500 HD Denali after she sat in one. I am actually really surprised how much I love this truck. I think it is nicer than my V in the interior and the 3.5 EB motor is pretty awesome.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:11 AM

good to see some previous suby owners here. The new 3.5 EB has tons of potential. Keep us updated.. Great looking rides!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Look forward to this one. Good luck with everything.

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2017, 10:29 AM

The eventual plan here is to use 4 LED cubes in the fog area that will eventually be put into a FabFour front bumper. So I decided to try out the cheap option for now...

There have been some mixed reviews of the SiriusLED 9005 bulbs for the stock fog lamps. As we all already know, the stock halogens look pretty terrible. They are your typical halogen orange. They don't match the stock LED headlights and they aren't a yellow you are used to seeing with fogs. For 30 bucks, I figured "what the hell" and tried them out anyway I figured there might be a way I could modify them if they didn't work.

The real issue here is that halogen housing are not meant to take LED or HID replacements. The optics required to project the correct beam for those light sources are very different. I have retrofitted several cars in the past and I always used OEM project housings in replacement of the stock ones to get the correct beam pattern so I would get factory light spread and not blind oncoming drivers. People that put HID PNP kits in halogen housings completely blind oncoming traffic (even when used with halogen projectors). Here is how it went.

First, the color matched perfectly but that was to be expected. Here are the bulbs for those that haven't seen them before. They are basically a 6 LED setup with 4 along the outside and two up front. I went ahead and installed one side.

The first thing I noticed...GLARE! As you can see by the picture below, the LED light on the left is projecting glare straight up.

From there I started trying out different options using electrical tape to attempt to bend the beam where I wanted to. I tried just on top and that helped some.

Then I tried on the front to mimic the halogen lights (they are covered on the front to force the beam into the housing).

That created a lot less glare than the full open setup but there was still some there. (left fixed, right not)

I ultimately took the electrical tape off the front as I was worried that it might fall off at some point into the fog housing.

I'll end up taking these out. Without seriously affecting light output, there is no way to make these work without the possibility of hitting oncoming traffic with glare. I'll probably end up throwing some whiter halogen bulbs in for now until I decide on my cube setup.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Have you looked into the stock LED housing offered by Ford? They are stock in the newer 2018 f150s and current f250s. They offer impressive lighting.

I wish jwspeaker made offerings for the current gen.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by v8toy
Have you looked into the stock LED housing offered by Ford? They are stock in the newer 2018 f150s and current f250s. They offer impressive lighting.

I wish jwspeaker made offerings for the current gen.
I have but I don't really want to invest in that when it would be temporary anyway.