Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old truck. New project

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old truck. New project

Hey everyone! My name is Mike. I'm new to the forum but I've owned my 05 FX4 for about 4 years now. I bought the truck with 110,xxx miles on it not really knowing anything about what I was getting into. The truck now has 151,xxx on the clock. Up until last month only things I've done to it visually were wheels, tires and, a 2.5" Rough country leveling kit. I've kept the oil changes regular every 3,000 miles on the dot using only Ford Motorcraft oil and filters. kept up with maintenance such as coil packs, U joints, air filters, and replaced the exhaust manifolds. As time has gone on I've learned and noticed some things about my truck. Recently the truck has been starting to look old and tired as far as hazy headlights and bald tires so I've decided to start documenting here on the forum. I plan on updating this thread and posting photos often if anyone is interested to see what I have in mind for this truck.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 PM

Here is a picture of the truck the day before i bought it. Its a screen shot because itsone of the only pictures I could find from back then.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 PM

Just for some more background and an update. First modification I did to my truck shortly after I bought it was wheels and tires.

The tires that were on my the truck when I bought it were dry rotted and didnt have much tread left. So naturally I tested the new tires out... often

The quality of these pictures will get better with time but these will have to do for the previous years.

Last edited by mikefig336; 02-02-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 PM

Just a little update for today. So I haven't ever had the first blower speed for the hvac in my truck. Last year the second speed stopped and today the third stopped... I never cared enough to look into it until today and I feel like an idiot that it was only a $20 blower resistor. So after work I picked one up and replaced it. took all of 5 minutes to do. it sure is going to feel weird to have all of my fan speeds.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Update for today. With 151xxx miles on my stock suspension its safe to say it doesn't feel like it should any more. With that being said I ordered a set of Rancho quick lift leveling struts to replace my stock fronts and cracked Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit. I also ordered a set of RS9000xl rear shocks to replace the stock rear shocks. Today I also found the time to replace my old cracked fog light housings.

before

after w/ new fogs

In the next month or two I'm going to be getting new wheels and tires as well. Tomorrow its time for an oil change and I'm going to try to find some broken wires for my passenger power window. (down function) and try to find where the random click noise is coming from in 4x4. Thanks for reading.