Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mrusse0213's 2015 Lariat lessons for guys new to lifting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrusse0213's 2015 Lariat lessons for guys new to lifting...

Truck started life as a 2015 Lariat with 502a, 302a and sport appearance chrome delete packages. Got an itch to do something with it so with a little research I initially purchased and had installed a Rough Country 6" lift with upgraded Vertex coils and shocks. Shortly after I purchased the lift I got a smoking deal on a set of 24x14 Fuel Forged FF29's mounted on 37x13.50 Fuel Mud Grippers. Realizing after a little research I was going to need more lift to even remotely clear 37's. So I purchased a BDS 2" leveling spacer and Ready Lift 1.5" add a leaf thinking this would make everything perfect. Truck set up at this height was sitting at 8" in front and 7" in rear and gave me more clearance but still had slight rub at full lock and had some major angles on cv's due to my research being minimal and not realizing the 6" RC lift was actually only a 5" diff drop. I managed to deal with the rub and maxed out cv's for awhile before it started to annoy me immensely when I started damaging inner fender well stuff and hearing crunchy cv's when 4wd was activated. The ride quality on the highway was pretty decent but around town it was like riding on a rigid chopper just super stiff. First set of pics will show truck at this height....more to come...standby

Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Part 2

So the old kit was installed on January 18th of 2019 and was taken off on the 27th of March and replaced. Forget to mention the truck was regeared to 4.88's with the first install also. The Rough Country was replaced with a 10" Full Throttle Suspension with 2.5 Emulsion coil over with res and 2.0 res shocks powder coated in black.. I ordered the upgraded larger rear block so I could push it close to 12" and also upgraded to boxed style compression struts. Needless to say the truck imo looks insanely rad and rides extremely well. The ride now is really close to factory and I have zero rub or clearance issues as well as having cv angles that are almost perfect. Truck sits a 1/4" higher in the front and has the perfect stance. Other mentionables would be AVS paint matched aero skin hood protector, AVS low profile window visors, custom painted rear oem tails, morimoto xb led headlights and fogs, SPC racing forged uca's, MBRP 4" cat back with axle dump powder coated black, aftermarket painted ford badges, Next on the list is cai, ported throttle body, down tubes, ported manifolds and throttle booster and a tune. I will post some more pics of current setup later this week just havent had time and literally got the truck back on Thursday and have been enjoying driving it. I realize my truck now qualifies me for mall crawler status but I love the look and the truck turns heads everywhere. One thing I have enjoyed with this truck is playing in our Montana snow. This thing will push though 4' high snow berms and is super fun. Its also nice to not have to worry about any level of snowfall at least from what weve experienced so far this year. Just wanted to share some of my personal trial and error items if anyone else out there is new to lifted rigs and wanted some helpful info if your contemplating a build and not 100% sure about it. I'm not an expert by any means I only know the trials that I've endured with my build. But if any of my experiences can save someone else some money so you do it right the first time rather than learning the hard way then its served its purpose. I will say the old saying about always wishing you had gone bigger definitely applied here. I wanted 6" then went to 8, shortly after contemplated going 10" and settled at almost 12..... Hope you guys enjoy the pics I will be posting more shots this week sometime. Do some close ups of current lift components and more stance shots.....Have a great weekend fellow Fordies....

Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 PM

Received 497 Likes on 349 Posts

That thing is sick! Yes it is important to always do your research. I've spent close to 6 months just laying out the suspension portion of my build.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:23 AM

Default Research

Originally Posted by andrewdod
That thing is sick! Yes it is important to always do your research. I've spent close to 6 months just laying out the suspension portion of my build.
The old measure twice cut once definitely minimizes expenses in the suspension department. I totally had my mind made up and the money in hand and completely rushed it and spaced proper research for the first install for sure. Thanks for the compliment it's definitely an ongoing project. Will be doing power add ons & powder coating rear end, rotor covers as well as lower control arms as well.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 497 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by mrusse0213
The old measure twice cut once definitely minimizes expenses in the suspension department. I totally had my mind made up and the money in hand and completely rushed it and spaced proper research for the first install for sure. Thanks for the compliment it's definitely an ongoing project. Will be doing power add ons & powder coating rear end, rotor covers as well as lower control arms as well.

Sounds very similar to what I'm doing. Mine goes in soon to have my lift done. Then I'm going to drive it for a bit and I'll finish up the rear portions later on. I've laid it out so I'm really not going to have to do anything twice. The only thing that will be any kind of re-work on mine is the re-gear. I just can't afford it at this time to do it all at once. I'll do the re-gear on stage 2 of the suspension build.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewdod
Sounds very similar to what I'm doing. Mine goes in soon to have my lift done. Then I'm going to drive it for a bit and I'll finish up the rear portions later on. I've laid it out so I'm really not going to have to do anything twice. The only thing that will be any kind of re-work on mine is the re-gear. I just can't afford it at this time to do it all at once. I'll do the re-gear on stage 2 of the suspension build.
a 10” full throttle on 24x14s?!!!! Lol

i loved my FTS 7-9 I had on my last truck. Good build OP
Old 04-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by AricsFX
a 10” full throttle on 24x14s?!!!! Lol

i loved my FTS 7-9 I had on my last truck. Good build OP
Thank you Sir ..
Its pushed right at 12" with the FTS optional larger rear block. Im super impressed with FTS and the quality. Pricing imo was a tad high but the ride quality and overall finish and build quality offsets that quite a bit. Especially coming from a 6" coil over lift I maxed out and completely ruint any chance of that kit producing a nice ride. The CV angles are really good, the build quality of the lift imo was on par, all the welds and powder coat look fantastic. Pricing was a tad on the highside but I guess you get what you pay for. The ride quality is what i was trying to obtain and managed to achieve with this setup once all the angles were brought back from the brink of tweaked and stretched. Very close to factory ride manners. Their fabricated rear leaf drop bracket system is pretty cool as well if you havent seen it. I'll post some close up shots of the components probably tomorrow evening.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 765 Likes on 462 Posts

Truck looks badass!! I love my 6" lift but after about 6 months, I wish I would've gone higher. I would love to have about a 10" lift. Now I'm thinking of stretching 6" to 8". How did you like the Vertex coilovers?
Old 04-03-2019, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by KillinTime
Truck looks badass!! I love my 6" lift but after about 6 months, I wish I would've gone higher. I would love to have about a 10" lift. Now I'm thinking of stretching 6" to 8". How did you like the Vertex coilovers?
To be honest they appeared to be excellent quality especially for their reasonable price. They have great reviews from all the guys that use them as they're intended to be used. I loved the adjustability that was a huge plus for me and just turning a clicker for your preference of settings was super cool. I never gave them an honest chance to perform due to the clearance issues i experienced with 37's. I immediately stacked a leveling spacer on top of the coil over and it was pretty stiff ride as you can imagine. You could definitely see their potential on the highway they were fairly smooth but around town the ride just was to stiff for me. The problem I ran into was taking a lift that wasnt a true (Rough Country) 6" it was a 6" with a 5" diff drop so I was maxing out everything lifting it to 8". My CV angles were at the brink of unusable due to the angles I had. From what I've heard if your lift is a true 6" diff drop and you plan to take it up to 8" you'll have fewer issues than I experienced. If your plan is to stack something on top just be prepared for it to be a little stiffer around town obviously due to the manner in which the spacer achieves lift.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:53 AM

Received 765 Likes on 462 Posts

Thank you so much for the info. I have a BDS 6" and I think they use a 5" knuckle as well. I WAS planning on doing what you did with the 2" leveling kit on top of the coilovers. How bad were the CV angles?

Quick Reply: mrusse0213's 2015 Lariat lessons for guys new to lifting...