Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 F-150 Platinum Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 F-150 Platinum Build

I've read the member builds threads for a while now and have really enjoyed them. Got some great ideas and information as well from everyone on here.

This build was done pretty much all at once. Started out with a 2018 F-150 Platinum that had the FX4 package and 701a trim.

Mods so far:
  • 4" BDS suspension with Fox coilovers and rear shocks
  • 35x11.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
  • 20x9 +20 offset Fuel Couplers
  • S&B CAI
  • Bakflip MX4 Tonneau cover
  • Rayno S9 ceramic tint all around
  • 3M gloss back vinyl wrap on the front grill and mirror caps
  • 3M brushed metallic vinyl wrap on the tailgate platinum badge
  • Spray in liner
After the truck was finished, I had it paint corrected and ceramic coated with Feynlab Heal Lite. If you heat the coating past 140 degrees, it basically heals from minor scratches and swirl marks.

Coming up this year will be a 5 Star tune and possibly Corsa Sport exhaust.

Sorry for the not so good pictures. I need to apply some tire de-greaser and then dressing, hopefully this weekend. Will try to take some better pictures then, but I don't think user RSutton1223 has much competition to worry about.

Last edited by ferdfteen; 01-12-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: fix picture
The following users liked this post:
JRUCK (02-10-2020)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:03 PM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Very nice. Love the subtle chrome.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks awesome 👍🏼
Old 01-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

truck look sweet....
what black wrap did you use? is it like a protective wrap? how do you like those tires? I love a good MT tire but those always look great.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 PM
El Borracho

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

You truck looks great.. Love the wheels.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 AM
Head Coach

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Truck Looks Bad ***.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what black wrap did you use? is it like a protective wrap? how do you like those tires? I love a good MT tire but those always look great.
I had 3M wrap done for everything. They are just vinyl wraps, so no protection or anything. The front is gloss black and the rear is brushed metallic. I saw several earlier posters had done a wrap on the back and thought it looked nice as I'm not a huge fan of the huge chrome look panel.

One thing I've found in Texas this winter with the huge temperature fluctuations is that wrapping curved things is error prone. The hot/cold cycle has caused the vinyl to expand and shrink some, and I've had to take a razor blade to some of the curves on my mirror caps. The vinyl shop my outfitter used guarantees their work, so if it gets too bad I can just have them re-done. If I had to do that part over, I'd probably have them painted or just swap them out with a different trim package.

I really like the ridge grapplers. I was originally going to get BFG KO2s, but my outfitter said they had a lot of complaints about the latest KO2 and short tire life to boot. They are the ones who recommended the Nittos.

I like the 11.5 configuration. They ride smooth and quiet, definitely not as quiet as stock, but nothing like the noise you hear from a heavy duty MT. Plus I don't get much stone ejection onto the rocker panels with the slightly narrower tire and positive offset wheel combination.

The other week I degreased them with McKee's 37 brand tire cleaner, then applied their acrylic tire dressing. I've got to say it's by far my favorite tire dressing I've used so far. Zero sling, not too glossy (you can control that by doing extra coats if deep gloss is your thing), and has lasted through several rain showers and a power washing of my wheels.

I am loving the ceramic coat so far, it still looks like glass and I usually just do a water free detail on it with Ultima and then finish with a Feynlab quick detailer. One thing I wish I had just spent the money on is PPF film on the front and rockers. I've gotten several dings on the highway that resulted in small paint chips. The PPF film would protect against that, but to cover the whole vehicle before coating was another couple thousand dollars.

I am really bad at pictures but will try to take some updated ones on a sunny weekend here.

Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 Platinum Build