Topic Sponsor
Purchase Experience Forum for members to post about their purchase experiences from different vendors and members.

Tire Store rip off

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Tire Store rip off

So I'm getting tires on my Mustang today that were drop shipped from Discount Tire Direct. They told me the TPMS rebuild was required in VA. I was skeptical but let them proceed. I asked, while waiting, for the VA code requirement that says I must do it and what kind of state certificate is provided to demonstrate proof.

Well, as you probably know by now, the "requirement" is not a state requirement but a corporate requirement for them to sell it regardless of whether the vehicle needs it.

Nothing burns me up more than dishonest sales techniques. Especially when it is so easy to check this crap now.

This was a local NTB for what it's worth. They do a good job if you just get them to do what you ask. But they will try to cheat you given the chance. They wanted to sell me a 1, 3, or 5 year alignment starting at around $150. Um... really? I got the 6 month version. For $69. Guess I g it will be just as aligned. They also automatically added the lifetime balance and rotation for $20 per wheel. Got that fixed back to basic mount and balance for $11.25 as indicated on the DTD installer page.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteDreamin
So I'm getting tires on my Mustang today that were drop shipped from Discount Tire Direct. They told me the TPMS rebuild was required in VA. I was skeptical but let them proceed. I asked, while waiting, for the VA code requirement that says I must do it and what kind of state certificate is provided to demonstrate proof.

Well, as you probably know by now, the "requirement" is not a state requirement but a corporate requirement for them to sell it regardless of whether the vehicle needs it.

Nothing burns me up more than dishonest sales techniques. Especially when it is so easy to check this crap now.

This was a local NTB for what it's worth. They do a good job if you just get them to do what you ask. But they will try to cheat you given the chance. They wanted to sell me a 1, 3, or 5 year alignment starting at around $150. Um... really? I got the 6 month version. For $69. Guess I g it will be just as aligned. They also automatically added the lifetime balance and rotation for $20 per wheel. Got that fixed back to basic mount and balance for $11.25 as indicated on the DTD installer page.

Anyone else experience this?
I can't stand when retailers try to sell you more than you ask for, and being lied to about a state law is even more infuriating.

however, with that said, the lifetime balance and rotation is definitely worth it. I have a plan on my vehicle and i get my tires rotated and balanced every time my oil is changed. I think i only paid $50 for it though. Even at $80, its a good deal and will make your tires last a lot longer.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I only use Costco for tires. They're awesome.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

I have dealt with Discount tire co for years and have found them to be honest and straight forward. They are in buisnes to make a proffit and will try to upsell any product or service. however they can be very flexible and will price match any competiter. so if you use due dillagence, do your homework you can drive out with a a quality product and service at a fair price. remember each store can be different in there practice and since we have several in my area its easy to find one that will work with you.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I go to my dealer, if they have what I want and they have a price match gaurantee.
Your description of those issues is exactly why. I experienced the same things
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Jared

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

NTB did an alignment for me and they wanted to do my ball joints. I said no, I'll take care of it. And they continued to give me a price (600-750$ depending on what brand which I proceded to laugh in the guys face) and say it was a "desperate situation and becoming dangerous" ad I asked how stupid they thought I was. That was followed by my kind of silence till I was rung up and walking out to my truck.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

If you bought from Discount Tire Direct, why not just walk in Discount Tire and ask them to deal with ordering and installing the tires? If you push them they will match any competitors price. And they can have the tires next day usually.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by allinon72
If you bought from Discount Tire Direct, why not just walk in Discount Tire and ask them to deal with ordering and installing the tires? If you push them they will match any competitors price. And they can have the tires next day usually.
I would have but don't have one local to me.

I also would have gone the dealer price match route but had a $100 off coupon.

Ultimately my alignment was perfect and they didn't charge me for that.

DTD isn't the issue. I love those guys. This was NTB. I can understand OFFERING additional services but saying they're required is simply scamming your customers. Tread wear was even so I was pretty sure I didn't need an alignment but got the price to an acceptable level and ordered it. Turns out I was right in the first place and didn't need it. Similarly, I'm pretty sure I didn't need my TPMS sensors rebuilt and didn't want Johnny Vise Grips messing with them unnecessarily.

As for the value of the life time rotation, I either do it myself or have it done during my oil changes. Costs about $15 if I have the dealer add it on. For this car that would have been 5 times if I did it every 6k miles. That's $90 but if I take it to NTB that's a whole other queue I have to get in and wait and my time is worth more than that.

Pluses to Costco and SAMs Club for tires and their lifetime rotation but they didn't have Pirelli.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
I have dealt with Discount tire co for years and have found them to be honest and straight forward. They are in buisnes to make a proffit and will try to upsell any product or service. however they can be very flexible and will price match any competiter. so if you use due dillagence, do your homework you can drive out with a a quality product and service at a fair price. remember each store can be different in there practice and since we have several in my area its easy to find one that will work with you.
While I agree with most of what you say, a buyer should not have to go through a bunch of lies from a sales individual, or be lead into thinking something has to be purchased. This is a type of fraud. Think obout how many times this takes place to folks that do not know any better and trust the store clerk....it's wrong.

Quick Reply: Tire Store rip off