Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Why H"8"TR'S Hate the Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Why do people hate the ecoboost?
I personally love this truck. Best vehicle i have owned to date.
She starts, runs n drives, turns, pulls, goes like a raped ape.....hell i cant think of one thing..well maybe two.

It sounds like *** under WOT....

Dont have enough cylinders.....to be a man's truck.

I bought my ecoboost for what it is, and what it will do well.
Just over a year of ownership and 21000km's
And still loving every bit of it.
Thumbs up to ford for giving us f-150 owners another capable engine option along side 2 other very capable v8's and one mean SOB 3.7 n/a v6

Last edited by f150man3.5; 01-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't think the EB is hated just not trusted or proven. If turbo v6s had been used here for 20+ years maybe it would be more accepted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joewee3.5:
Toddman38 (01-18-2013), walc (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

deleted, misinterpreted the purpose of the thread

Last edited by Ssls6; 01-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup you nailed it. People are skeptical about adding complexities to an engine. Turbos have been around for a very long time, but it is only recently due to CAFE requirements that they have started being used to the degree they are. All of these stories about a small number of Ecoboost owners having some drivability issues also adds fuel to the flame in that many who visit internet forums do not realize that those with problems usually will dominate the discussion. Other than enthusiasts like many of us, your average person who is perfectly happy with their vehicle is not going to go seek out and register on a forum to voice how happy they are.

I have the Ecoboost in my previous Lincoln and loved the motor. I had absolutely no drivability problems, and the sheer amount of torque was amazing with all of the hills we have around here. I am a diehard v8 fan though, and would have opted for the v8 option if there was one in the Lincoln. Especially with my dealer being a 5 hour drive from where I live in rural Alaska, I also wanted my truck to be as simple as possible. ON top of of that, I absolutely LOVE how v8's sound when opened up with a nice exhaust system.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Well most of the young guys i chum with, and work with. Have never driven a v8 hell some of them have never driven a v6 before. With this next generation small displacement will be the norm.
Glad my old man had a deep love for detroit muscle. Olds 442's and numerous camaro's. Most notable 67 with warmed up 426 and 4sp. And a #'s matching 69 302 Z28
Owned 88 foxbody coupe, mildly modded, was actually my first car.
Glad i had a chance to own and partake in some potent street iron.
But the winds of change are blowing.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ssls6
No one really hates the ecoboost. I think most level headed people hope it becomes a big success for Ford. You read a lot of arguments pro and con (mostly from eco versus 5.0 guys) but that is, in my opinion, because people like to justify their choices and argue in general. I have read threads where people basically say the 6.2L is a stupid engine in the F150 platform, a gas hog. I see it differently but I don't take it personal.

6 cylinders have been in trucks forever. If they made a 4.0-5.0L in-line six using a turbo but without direct injection I would have taken it just because I think in-line 6's are cool. In a few years one of two thinks will happen, the Eco platform will prove itself robust and all you guys will look smart or a lot of problems will develop and it will be like the 6.0L diesel all over again (which I was burned by thus no Eco for me this time out).
I think the 6.2 is a awesome engine. Big cubes. Big power. Big torque.....Big gas bill......lol
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM

I will agree with you guys on the v8 exhaust note.....just cant duplicate it with the v6's
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

Although I have the V8, I think the Ecoboost is a kickbutt engine! I know of several friends who absolutely adore this remarkable engine. I think the technology that Ford brings to the table is unparalleled. I wasn't against the Ecoboost when I bought my truck, heck, it could have had the 3.7 V6 and it would have been more than enough power for my use.

Even the technology in the 302 is light years ahead of the 5.3 in the competition, and I am the type of guy who will tolerate a few quirks that come with the change in tech advances.

Twin Independant Variable Cam Timing, piston cooling jets. Bring it on, Ford. I want my vehicle to "wow" me. The Ecoboost is a "wow" engine. Plain and simple. Most Eco haters never drove one. Again, I don't care.

Some visit forums and see threads posting the problems and think the engine is garbage, and think Ford doesn't care about the issues. The people who have issues tend to be more vociferous than those without problems. And rightfully so, as we spend big dollars on these trucks. We have to take this info with a grain of salt.

In the end, I don't care which engine is the best, which make is the best, which fuel is the best or anything that leads to a perpetual pissing contest. I would rather avoid that whole mess. That said, don't turn your nose up at a wonderful engineering marvel like the Ecoboost just to jump on a bandwagon. And don't be afraid of technology because it makes life better.

Let it evolve
The following 6 users liked this post by sgtpatiolantern:
bchandler02 (01-18-2013), f150man3.5 (01-18-2013), Hunttman01 (01-18-2013), Joewee3.5 (01-18-2013), ns_redneck (01-21-2013), Wanted33 (01-21-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

^^^. Great post. I want the most advanced bells and whistles engine with the most mpg power and whatever else you can squeeze into it. That brought me to ford from a dodge diesel. In another year I hope ford can keep me in their truck. If there's something better, that's where I'll be.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I hate all gas engines. Love diesels, but didn't want to pay for one or fuel/maintenence.

The only thing that mattered to me when doing my test drives with the 6.2, 5.0, and Eco hooked to my enclosed trailer, was how well the truck held gears. Just personal preference...I hate downshifting/gear changing while driving and towing. Not saying the 5.0 and 6.2 can't tow, they most certainly can and do it well...but they like to downshift. The Eco hands down wins this one.

For me, I simply got the engine that tows MOST like a diesel. There is no way you can compare the two...the Powerstroke has twice the torque as the Eco. But among the gasoline offerings, the Eco does the best job holding gears.

I have been very pleased with how it holds gears driving around town or towing heavy loads. It has exceeded my expectations in this area.

Wouldn't have mattered how many liters it was, how many cylinders, etc, etc. I simply wanted the engine that was as close to a diesel as I could get.

And just how I assessed what I needed out of my truck, thats what others do too. People want their trucks for different things. Have different reasons for their choices. I can for sure see why some people may want the 3.7, 5.0, or 6.2 instead of the Eco. They all serve a purpose and all are great. It comes down to personal preference and what people want in their truck.

But dic measuring kinda goes hand in hand with trucks. Always been that way. Always will be.
The following users liked this post:
sgtpatiolantern (01-18-2013)

Quick Reply: Why H"8"TR'S Hate the Ecoboost