Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Vacuum/Boost Gauge Mounting Locations

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vacuum/Boost Gauge Mounting Locations

Hey guys,

I've been browsing the forums and trying to determine where to mount a vacuum/boost gauge. I'd like to be able to constantly monitor whether or not I'm in boost in order to achieve the best gas mileage possible, as well as the typical problem-solving uses should an issue present itself. I've seen the Roush vent pod and some people mounting in the coin holder (4x2 only), but I'm looking for some more suggestions.

I haven't seen any a-pillar mounts made specifically for these trucks, and the ones I have seen look out of place/tacked on (they don't replace the entire a-pillar). I'm not able to use the coin holder as I have a 4x4, and I don't think I would be able to monitor the gauge properly in the Roush pod, since it sits so low and is partially obscured by the steer wheel.

Has anyone done anything with the tray in the center of the dash? I'm thinking that spot would be pretty nice for mounting, and while not directly in my line of sight, it seems something up there would be easier to glance at than the Roush pod.

Another place would be just left of the instrument cluster, but I'm thinking that will end up looking even more tacky then a screwed on plastic a-pillar.

Thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great topic, Id like to an a pillar mount for out trucks.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
t_b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a rather unique way to mount a gauge:

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2009-2012.html
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a Garmin Ecoroute HD OBD-II dongle which feeds a bunch of vehicle information to my Garmin GPS via blue-tooth. Now I have several gauges displayed on my Garmin GPS, which can be mounted in various locations based on user preference. One of the gauge options is intake manifold pressure...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by brass0
I just installed a Garmin Ecoroute HD OBD-II dongle which feeds a bunch of vehicle information to my Garmin GPS via blue-tooth. Now I have several gauges displayed on my Garmin GPS, which can be mounted in various locations based on user preference. One of the gauge options is intake manifold pressure...
I've looked into things like that and I don't think they're for me. I never leave my GPS in my truck - I only bring it with me when I'm going somewhere far/new, and even if I did, I couldn't imagine having to get the thing out and set it up on the dash every single time I got in the truck.

I want a gauge because it's static; once it's installed, it will always be there when I go for a drive.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by t_b
This is a rather unique way to mount a gauge:

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2009-2012.html
I'll need to go out to my truck and look again, as this really seems to be the only option available at the moment - so far as I could tell, though, the vent was too low to really be of any use for a quick glance down at the gauge.

Come to think of it, I am constantly looking down at all the cluster gauges/productivity screen..so maybe it would be fine.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoolinF150
I'll need to go out to my truck and look again, as this really seems to be the only option available at the moment - so far as I could tell, though, the vent was too low to really be of any use for a quick glance down at the gauge.

Come to think of it, I am constantly looking down at all the cluster gauges/productivity screen..so maybe it would be fine.
Probably not when you have your foot to the floor and at full boost.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/eco-ga...d-works-90414/
Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM

There hasn't been update from Fastlane since April, not to mention that a-pillar looks like something a riced out Civic would have, not a loaded F-150.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to get an OBD II dongle plus iPhone app but can't find one. I sew plenty for the Droid. Does anyone have a clue?

Quick Reply: Vacuum/Boost Gauge Mounting Locations