Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Throttle body problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttle body problem ?

2012 XLT Supercrew, 3.7l, 45k miles... No mods.

Roughly a month ago, 200 miles from home, low oil pressure light came on and gauge dropped to below L, turned off truck, waited 30 secs, started right up and ran fine. Took to dealership next day, and they couldn't find a code established that'd explain the problem. Last Friday, taking off from light and doing 25mph, giant orange wrench appears and I have zero throttle response. Coast to side street and when throwing truck in Park, begins to idle very rough. Turned off truck, waited 30secs, and it ran fine. Took to dealership the next day, again no codes established that'd ID problem. Service Dept guy tells me orange wrench = problems with transmission. Tells me next time orange wrench appears, to drive it to dealership(which would be quite a trick with no throttle response). Says codes aren't always established when warning lights come on. WTF ?

Not buying the explanation too much, but every thread I've read here is referencing an older model F150s, and how it may be tied to a throttle body/throttel body sensor issue.

Issue happens again today, with [my guestion] it rearing it's head when the truck shifts from 2nd to 3rd. Throttle unresponsive, engine running rough [even before I placed it in park]. Turn truck off, wait 20 secs, problem has mirculously disappeared. Will take it back to dealership Tuesday, 07/14. Any thoughts from anyone before that happens ?
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 AM

And it's happened again this morning while doing a steady 62mph on the freeway on the way to the dealership. Giant orange wrench, no throttle response, rough idle. Tried to send Vehicle Report via Sync, but it won't send. Am now sitting in waiting room, waiting to here about patient.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:03 PM

Dealer still can't ID problem. Computer not leaving codes. Wants me to put gas in truck so they can drive it around for awhile (undetermined amount of time) with their own computer hooked up to it so that, when it happens again, they'll have stored codes. Since the issue is crazy sporadic, what are the chances of it f'in up while THEYRE behind the wheel ?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963Christopher
Dealer still can't ID problem. Computer not leaving codes. Wants me to put gas in truck so they can drive it around for awhile (undetermined amount of time) with their own computer hooked up to it so that, when it happens again, they'll have stored codes. Since the issue is crazy sporadic, what are the chances of it f'in up while THEYRE behind the wheel ?
We all feel your pain. These are the dumbest computers on the planet. Anything bad enough to to throw an idiot light should always store a code. If it was an Ecoboost I'd say it was an issue with water/oil being sucked through the engine from the CAC. But I don't have anything to share on the 3.7.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenferg1
We all feel your pain. These are the dumbest computers on the planet. Anything bad enough to to throw an idiot light should always store a code. If it was an Ecoboost I'd say it was an issue with water/oil being sucked through the engine from the CAC. But I don't have anything to share on the 3.7.
Engine light is for emissions, wrench won't code. Just changed the Tb on my sons Focus no codes
Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Default Throttle body problem ?

This sounds very similar to a problem I had with my wifes 2010 Escape, and yes it was the throttle body.
It was even covered under the emissions warranty as the car is out of the 5/60 power train.

Quick Reply: Throttle body problem ?