Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Superchips Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Superchips Problems

After reading several posts, I've noticed people complaining about the following problems:

1. Engine shudder at 55 mph with the 87 tune
2. Loud turbo wastegate noise
3. High boost PSI
4. Gear indicator lights disappearing after installing SC
5. People who had the latest TSB strategy and lost it after installing the SC.

I can't speak for everyone, but here's my personal experiences:

I've never experienced the engine shudder when running the 87 tune.

Yes, the turbo wastegates are apparently dumping more boost. I'm guessing it is a by-product of the increased HP. I don't know if the Livernois tune does the same on it's 91 octane program, or not. Please chime in if you have their tuner.

I can't confirm whether the boost is higher or not with the SC tune. I saw two different posts. One person (I believe it was Trey K) hooked his BullyDog up and monitored boost and it was the same PSI as stock. Someone else, who I can't remember, and don't know if they even have a boost gauge, claimed it spiked at 21 PSI with the SC tune. I plan on adding a Roush boost gauge in the very near future and will gladly post my observations.

I've never lost the 1 2 3 4 5 6 gear indicator. I usually leave it off, but it will come on when the gear selector is in "M" or when I hit the +/- button. Works the same with both the 87 and 91 SC tunes as it did with the stock tune.

Last, people claim to lose their stock programming to one uploaded by SC that is now outdated. First, I had the latest TSB flash done, which I think has only been out a month. Even if this is the case, I'm sure that SC will update this and make it available for free downloading, as they frequently do with other tuners. Also, SO WHAT if it loaded a currently outdated version of the stock programming?? Like any of you who are buying tuners are going to run your stock programming except for the occasional trip to the dealer for service.

All in all I feel the SC tuner is an excellent programmer. My truck drives extremely well (it did so even prior to getting the SC tuner), and it got a nice bump in power. For those who are regretting their SC purchase, just send it back. Superchips has a 30 day money back guarantee. I won't be one of them. I've been using their tuners on my vehicles since 1993, and it seems like they keep getting better each time. I've never had a problem with any of them, and don't anticipate having one now.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Anyone with an SC can log boost. You can monitor many parameters with the tuner itself.

I haven't experienced the shudder with 91 octane. Only 87.

The gear indicator for mine would stay on all the time, even after shifting to park and back to drive or shutting it off and turning the truck back on. This to me isn't a big deal and either is losing the update (which superchips says it does not) . It doesn't now with the SC fund and it didn't with the BD tune either but it came back with the stock tune when leaving the BD tuning.

But I can see for some if you take it off you would want the updted stock file. But your right, updates will come and it will get only better and we are an awesome starting point.

EDIT: I love the tune and plan on keeping it.

Last edited by mrpositraction; 03-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:34 PM
MGM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I got it last week and tried it this weekend.

I had the 87 tune loaded and towed a light 2k trailer. The one thing I noticed that I didn't like at all was when going up a moderate climb it appears it can't decide whether to dump boost or hold it. By doing that it goes in to a kind of a weird sequential surge of dumping boost then re-boosting (Doesn't sound healthy especially with the Injen).

To me it feels like the Blow-off/Diverter valves (could be waste gates but not sure why such intake noises) are dumping too much then they quickly close to rebuild boost, the process continues and surges the truck until the incline changes or the load on the engine changes (grade flattens or you gear up/dn). Yes I lost the gear #'s unless i hit the +/-

Other than that it seems to work well, mileage seems a bit better. I always had to hand calculate as I changed tire size. Around town it drives fine, shifts much earlier than stock which I presume is for mileage. I'm fairly satisfied although I hope they come out with an update.

Last edited by MGM; 03-19-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

I am with you TuxBlack. I love what the SC tune did to my truck. Everyday driving is A LOT better then it was stock. I was going to see what the 5star tune was going to be but I decided not to since they don't offer anything like the Vivid Linq for android phones. IMO, why spend all that money on a so called "custom tune" when the "canned tune" with 4 tuning options does what you want and then some. Also, I have gotten to know some of the guys at SC with all the questions I had for them. They have been either a phone call or email away and have answered all of my questions in a very timely manner. I am more then happy with my choice to go with the SC Vivid.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
I am with you TuxBlack. I love what the SC tune did to my truck. Everyday driving is A LOT better then it was stock. I was going to see what the 5star tune was going to be but I decided not to since they don't offer anything like the Vivid Linq for android phones. IMO, why spend all that money on a so called "custom tune" when the "canned tune" with 4 tuning options does what you want and then some. Also, I have gotten to know some of the guys at SC with all the questions I had for them. They have been either a phone call or email away and have answered all of my questions in a very timely manner. I am more then happy with my choice to go with the SC Vivid.
Exactly.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
Glad to hear it. Mine is being shipped and should be here on Friday.

Have you guys compared the "Mileage XS" vs the 87 tunes? Is there a difference? On the Superchips site, it doesn't look like the device would come with the Mileage XS tune, there are only dyno charts for 87, tow, and 91, but some people are reporting that it shows up as an option when plugged in.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got the SAME problems! I had the newest updated flash from Ford and have NEVER had the shudder issue.........now I do! Also, now every time I put it in park I lose my gear indicator numbers. I'm pretty happy with the SC flash and mileage but I'm not so happy about losing my factory features that were updated in the last stock flash.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Mileage was in mine. I didn't notice enough difference in 87 and mileage compared to the 91 in the mileage department so I am now running the 91 and will continue to run this tune.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Originally Posted by PT1911
I've got the SAME problems! I had the newest updated flash from Ford and have NEVER had the shudder issue.........now I do! Also, now every time I put it in park I lose my gear indicator numbers. I'm pretty happy with the SC flash and mileage but I'm not so happy about losing my factory features that were updated in the last stock flash.
Did you return it to stock and see if their indicator returned? Did you try 91 and see if the shudder went away?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpositraction
Did you return it to stock and see if their indicator returned? Did you try 91 and see if the shudder went away?
No I haven't tried that yet. The shudder is there in both the 87 tune and Mileage XS tune.......I haven't tried the 91 tune yet but the shudder was not there STOCK so that is what kind of ticks me off.

Quick Reply: Superchips Problems