Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Question about carbon build up in Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Question about carbon build up in Ecoboost

All of the talk of carbon buildup in DI engines including EB engines has left me with one question. Why isn't there build up inside the torture test engine that has 162000 equivalent miles? That engine was driven very hard and I wonder if that high heat, high rpm driving is what kept that engine clean. Any thoughts?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
All of the talk of carbon buildup in DI engines including EB engines has left me with one question. Why isn't there build up inside the torture test engine that has 162000 equivalent miles? That engine was driven very hard and I wonder if that high heat, high rpm driving is what kept that engine clean. Any thoughts?
I may be wrong but one of the issues I have with the torture test engine is that it didnt see enough start/stop cycles. I dont know if that would affect the carbon buildup though. That was one of my biggest concerns with the EB because it seems that everyone else who has done a DI turbo engine has had this problem. Maybe Ford solved it?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think Ford solved anything. Google BGFUELTEST and you'll see what I'm talking about. The harder you run a DI engine the cleaner it will be but who does that on a daily basis. This was one reason I left the DI club for now, not hatin just sayin.

I think lexus is running a secondary injector to "wash" the valves like a regular injected engine but now you have double the injectors to worry about. I'm sure someone will figure this all out soon along with better injectors and less fuel pump failures.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

just shove your foot In it now and then, Nancy
Old 11-24-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

AFAIK my Mazdaspeed3 didn't have this problem; ran just as good at 60k miles as when it was new. Ford has had many dealings with Mazda during their partnership and they probably had a hand in the MS3 engine development.

We'll see how this turns out, but I'm not worried....
Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

140,000 miles on a DI turbo Subaru, no carbon build up. This is the first I have ever heard of this problem.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 02themax
I don't think Ford solved anything. Google BGFUELTEST and you'll see what I'm talking about. The harder you run a DI engine the cleaner it will be but who does that on a daily basis. This was one reason I left the DI club for now, not hatin just sayin.

I think lexus is running a secondary injector to "wash" the valves like a regular injected engine but now you have double the injectors to worry about. I'm sure someone will figure this all out soon along with better injectors and less fuel pump failures.
Of course BGFUELTEST is going to say there's a problem. They're trying to sell their additive!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Maybe carbon isn't building up in the EB engine? Maybe that's why all of that black crap comes out of the tailpipe?
I have no idea, just thinking out loud.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
Of course BGFUELTEST is going to say there's a problem. They're trying to sell their additive!
Call me crazy, but when the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, how does it go upstream to the intake valve to wash the carbon off with additive? My point is that if the fuel doesn't go there (the root cause of the supposed problem), then how would fuel with cleaner additive make it there?

Also, if you've ever taken apart a set of heads with >100k miles on a normally injected engine, they can have a large amount of buildup on the back of the intake valve also. I've seen way more buildup on old normally injected heads than the pictures showing a "big problem" with the DI engines.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:45 AM
COME TO BUTTHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just Seafoam it when the warranty goes out. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Question about carbon build up in Ecoboost