Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Please give me your opinions and feedback on performance set ups for the Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Please give me your opinions and feedback on performance set ups for the Ecoboost

I know all over this forum there is info on intakes, exhausts and tuners all seperate, but what when combined together makes the best package? In the future I think I may get the larger down pipes but for now just the Tuner and Exhaust and possibly an intake.

As for tuners I'm looking only at 5* tuning right now because of there extensive research and track record with the towing aspect. I will go with an 87 & 91 Perf/Tow and 87 Econo Tunes. Also is there a big difference between the livewire and the X3? or is it just the fact that you get 3 extra custom tunes and a touch screen that you keep up and displayed for and extra $220?

For intakes I'm thinking the Volant with the Donaldson Dry Core filter or the AFE Stage 2 with the two dry core filters. Has anyone tried the Volant? not much info on it? Is it even worth getting an intake?

For exhausts I'm thinking Solo 4" single, AFE 4" single, or Flo Pro 4" stainless. I know the Solo sounds great and I don't mind the AFE and the Flo Pro either. Is there any major performance differences?

If most of the choices I'm comparing are really close power and mileage wise then I'll probably go with one of the packages 5Star has.

The biggest things I need to know is, is the intake really worth it, and will a 4" straight through exhaust really change anything for me?

Any help and thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Intake and exhaust are all going to make the same power, about 5hp each. The tuners differ mainly on driveability and how the power comes in.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would leave the intake and exhaust alone and just get the tuner. Like the previous statement, marginal results from both. The tuner is where the gains are. Not to mention, less conspicuous if you have to take you truck in.

Full disclosure, my truck is bone stock(power wise), but I am planning on buying a 5* Tuner in the near future.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bradyb093
I would leave the intake and exhaust alone and just get the tuner. Like the previous statement, marginal results from both. The tuner is where the gains are. Not to mention, less conspicuous if you have to take you truck in.

Full disclosure, my truck is bone stock(power wise), but I am planning on buying a 5* Tuner in the near future.
Interesting thought. I would like to hear from those that have a tune and no exhaust/intake mods...

I'm torn between getting an exhaust and not, at 45 years old and having alot of LOUD cars I kind of like the fact my truck is so quiet...
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 AM

Received 755 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave551
Interesting thought. I would like to hear from those that have a tune and no exhaust/intake mods...

I'm torn between getting an exhaust and not, at 45 years old and having alot of LOUD cars I kind of like the fact my truck is so quiet...
Truckin Magazine

EcoBoost FX4 Supercrew

Stock= 300.45 RWHP and 353.96 RWTQ
Stock tune with Corsa exhaust= 312.58 RWHP and 366.56 RWTQ
Livernois Motorsports tune with stock exhaust= 361.43 RWHP and 430.10 RWTQ
Livernois Motorsports tune and Corsa exhaust= 372.98 RWHP and 427.14 RWTQ.

I'm 45 my self and know what you mean about loud exhaust,hopefully yhis info will help.

Later Mark.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mark Miller:
clubsfit (11-18-2012), Dave551 (11-18-2012), killerrudy (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave551

I have been running mine with the canned 91 SCT tune with no mods other than taking the whirlygigs out of the intake and changing to a K&N airfilter. Very noticeable power gains, better trans shifting, and slightly better mileage. Only thing I don't particularly like is you can feel the tc lock and unlock more. I'm 60 and I love the silence.
The following users liked this post:
Dave551 (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Think I may go that route first.

Dave
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have gain numbers on a high flow down pipe with stock exhaust? Curious about this setup and a 3" pipe between the resonator and muffler.

Quick Reply: Please give me your opinions and feedback on performance set ups for the Ecoboost