Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

New 5.0L owner, fast gurgling / tick noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 5.0L owner, fast gurgling / tick noise

(note: im reading through other posts, but not sure if im finding this same noise)

I just bought my 5.0L 2 days ago. Has 98k miles on it. Ive been skimming through the threads in regards to the "ticking" noise. However, I was wondering if anyone knew what this noise is coming from my truck. Sounds a lot faster and repetitive than the "ticking" ive read and seen on youtube videos. Reminds me of someone speaking spanish rolling an "R" on their tongue really fast, or similar to a little air compressor/pump blowing air bubbles in a fish tank. I'm hoping it's not "ticking" problem (I just inherited a lemon if so). OR, is this what the truck sounds like for everyone?

Anyways, the noise is best canceled out and heard around the 00:30 mark when i enter the truck and close the door and hit the gas.
What do you think this is, or is this normal?

In this video... truck is warm, has been driving a few hundred miles already (however I noticed this noise yesterday just driving around town) - the sound tends to die down when no gas is applied - you can really hear it between 1-20mph - its been warm out 68(nights) to 95degrees (days). I can not hear it much when i'm on the freeway, but I believe that is due to all the other ambient noises around.

Thanks for checking out this thread and i'm happy to be here and hope to post more.

(This is my 4th Ford truck - Previous: 2007 F150 5.4L Triton, 127k (ran like a champ, no spark plug issue) - 2005 6.0L F250, 225k (bullet proofed and still managed to leak coolant into the fuel system, total dud)- 2001 7.3L F250, 310k (ran like new, a little blow by - got stolen)
Old 08-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Man that does sound a little knocky...That's a bummer. I hope it's nothing. Sounds like your DI noise is 2-3x louder than it should be --but hopefully, that's all it is. After listening to it a few times maybe it sounds kind of like an exhaust leak? Hard to say man...What else can you tell us about it? Any driveability issues?

I would have cried a river if I had a 7.3 and it got stolen.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rougen123
Sounds like your DI noise is 2-3x louder than it should be --but hopefully, that's all it is..
If you mean Direct Injection, that's not what the noise is. The 1st Gen Coyote only has port fuel injection. The 2nd Gen Coyote has both port and direct injection, but that didn't start 'til the next generation of the F150 ('17 or '18).

To the OP, that noise doesn't sound terribly out of the ordinary to me.

Quick Reply: New 5.0L owner, fast gurgling / tick noise