Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Need photos of where water is collecting in intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Need photos of where water is collecting in intake

Hello,

I thought I'd install a calibrated air leak where the water is collecting in the intake of 3.5L ecoboost engines.

If anybody has any photos of where they believe the water is collecting, please share them with me.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboo...s-here-223824/

This should be what you're looking for.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by kylenotjon
https://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboo...s-here-223824/

This should be what you're looking for.
I'm the guy who told everybody about the weep hole several years back. What I want to do is install a calibrated air leek in the intake runner itself.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't have any photos but it would enter right after the PCV connects to the intake. Wouldn't you be worried about sucking in unfiltered air?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Only way to try to remove it before pressurized by the turbo is with a Can. It works under a vacuum which the clean air side is considered to have while the engine is in boost. To remove these substances one must have them condense. The can or the CAC will do that, condense the vapors and catch the droplets.

First thing to solve is the contaminants are the byproduct of combustion/blow by in the crankcase. The better the piston ring fit / break in the lower the blow by, thus contaminants. So during boosted operation the contaminants and oil particles begin their journey to the intake manifold thru the fresh air tube from the valve cover to the driver side turbo. Add a good can up front and replace the tube here and you get the mix in it.

There is no reason to get into talk about the PCV sides journey to the intake manifold, it has worked in various OEM's products for years. It is the boost that changes things and where the problem lies. Remove these before they reach the CAC and things work well. The worry about having to coast to a stop along the expressway vanishes Of course the hole in the CAC's bottom is double insurance but some choose not to have the mess on the garage floor or other places.
Having the mess on the drive/garage floor can spur one to install a Can's hoses on the fresh air tubes fittings after the fact is obvious to them/ drippings from the CAC's new hole.

Last edited by papa tiger; 10-20-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by vozaday
I don't have any photos but it would enter right after the PCV connects to the intake. Wouldn't you be worried about sucking in unfiltered air?
I thought I'd tap in a welding rod tip in the intake runner itself, run that though a hose to a small filter. This I thought I'd do in addition when I pop things apart to install a Monster RX can.

Last edited by EricTheOracle; 10-20-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 PM

Installing the system following Tracy's video precisely is the best you get without purchasing a beter design, say centrifugal. U simply don't leak something out of a vacuum, it stays in it unless centrifugal force is introduced before it or condensation happens in an area of changing pressure.

Last edited by papa tiger; 10-20-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by papa tiger
Installing the system following Tracy's video precisely is the best you get without purchasing a beter design, say centrifugal. U simply don't leak something out of a vacuum, it stays in it unless centrifugal force is introduced before it or condensation happens in an area of changing pressure.
My idea is that with a constant draft, water will not pool, and will be drawn through the combustion process before it can mass enough to hydraulically lock a cylinder and throw a connecting rod.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 AM

U need to realize it not exactly water but a mixture of chemicals with it along with oil vapors all of which condense. By adding a soda straw to the tube you just cut the PCV performance down and cause other problems. Some simply put on a breather cap or another filtered fresh air tube from the air box to the breather cap.
The blow by into the crankcase which migrates under boost to the driver side turbo and beyond along with all the PCV needs goes down that fresh air tube when under boost. Giving the crankcase more filtered fresh air is one of Rx's parts kits. It can't hurt unless U find oil in the air filter or U get inspected ( your State ? )
Found out many decades ago a small tube running to the air filter box can have a vacuum in it. All it take is a small difference in air PSI. A small tube fastened into the air box and hooked to a Hoof governor that operates by vacuum and spring tension worked great on small cubic incher motors (200 CI and below) where you had to have them stay below 2800 RPM.
Strange thing about that clear stuff is it doesn't want to evaporate away when it has completely separated out is say 24 hours. It has looked the same in that glass for a week now. It started out milk shake, then watery clouded with solids and now just a substance with a dark 1/4" layer of motor oil stuff floating on it. I'm tempted to put a propane torch to it to see if it will burn at all. But I know better than to try that. There are at least 1/2 dozen compounds in there. So I stirred it up good and it mixed right back up as a milk shake. Am waiting to see if it separates again. The first 6 months I drained the can I just put it in a used oil container. 6 months = a couple quarts in it. This morning it had again separated into oil and watery compounds. Swirlled it in the glass and it emulsified easily again into chocolate shake look. This is what comes out the tiny hole drilled in the CAC. My can catches only this concoction before it has a chance to collect there. I'm convinced this milk shake form is the vapor that collects when it condensed and then separates into the different layers when allowed to settle out. This is the bad stuff !

Last edited by papa tiger; 12-10-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by papa tiger
U need to realize it not exactly water but a mixture of chemicals with it along with oil vapors all of which condense. By adding a soda straw to the tube you just cut the PCV performance down and cause other problems. Some simply put on a breather cap or another filtered fresh air tube from the air box to the breather cap.
The blow by into the crankcase which migrates under boost to the driver side turbo and beyond along with all the PCV needs goes down that fresh air tube when under boost. Giving the crankcase more filtered fresh air is one of Rx's parts kits. It can't hurt unless U find oil in the air filter or U get inspected ( your State ? )
Found out many decades ago a small tube running to the air filter box can have a vacuum in it. All it take is a small difference in air PSI. A small tube fastened into the air box and hooked to a Hoof governor that operates by vacuum and spring tension worked great on small cubic incher motors (200 CI and below) where you had to have them stay below 2800 RPM.
Strange thing about that clear stuff is it doesn't want to evaporate away when it has completely separated out is say 24 hours. It has looked the same in that glass for a week now. It started out milk shake, then watery clouded with solids and now just a substance with a dark 1/4" layer of motor oil stuff floating on it. I'm tempted to put a propane torch to it to see if it will burn at all. But I know better than to try that. There are at least 1/2 dozen compounds in there. So I stirred it up good and it mixed right back up as a milk shake. Am waiting to see if it separates again. The first 6 months I drained the can I just put it in a used oil container. 6 months = a couple quarts in it. This morning it had again separated into oil and watery compounds. Swirlled it in the glass and it emulsified easily again into chocolate shake look. This is what comes out the tiny hole drilled in the CAC. My can catches only this concoction before it has a chance to collect there. I'm convinced this milk shake form is the vapor that collects when it condensed and then separates into the different layers when allowed to settle out. This is the bad stuff !
The water can't evaporate since it's covered in a layer of oil sealing it off.

Quick Reply: Need photos of where water is collecting in intake