Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Mods that woke up my EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Mods that woke up my EcoBoost

I have a 2011 F150 Lariat 2WD with 3.5 Ecoboost. I just installed the following mods on it...AFE Magnum Force 2 Intake, Pypes 4" cat back exhaust, SCT Tuner with MPT tunes (91 octane Performance, Tow, & Economy) Currently running Performance tune, and a UPR Mega Catch Can. I replaced the plugs with new FoMoCo Iridium gapped to .32. The beast has been woken up! She has 52K miles. Before the install of these mods she had descent power and the mpg's were 15 city/17 hwy (70-75 mph). I am on my third tank of fuel with the mods and although the first two tanks I was like a kid in a candy store with all this new power, this third tank I have driven it super conservatively and I have not see any gains on the mpg's (15 city/17 hwy). Should I expect any gains as MPT says I should or should I load the economy tune and sacrifice having the "get up and go" power if I need it? Are there any experts out there that can give a ballpark estimate on what kind of HP & Torque numbers I should have with these mods? Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

You should have done a before/after dyno! I would guesstimate 350hp/410tq to the wheels?? Somewhere around there. I can guarantee if you load the economy tune after you've already ran a performance tune. You will be switching back to the performance tune quickly.
The following users liked this post:
akcajunz (03-17-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by akcajunz
kid in a candy store
Stop being a kid in the candy store, and start being an old man on a Sunday drive to get your mpg's up! In my experience your mpg's will only get better after the newness wears off and you stop getting into the throttle as often. Even then, the best I've ever done is matching my stock fuel economy numbers.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the same mods as you. I have a K&N kit, RX dual valve catch can, replaced the stock muffler with a magnaflow and kept the resonator in. I have the sct x4 tuner with 4 custom tunes from 5 star tuning. I found the that the 87 performance/tow tune gave me the right amount of power and response and after about 200mi I started seeing my fuel milage go up. I went from an average of 14.5mpg to 16.5mpg when I can keep my foot out it. This is with my everyday stop and go town driving.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

No offense to anyone but I had the K&N kit quite a few years ago on another vehicle and finally learned to never use that thing again...unless, of course, you like an oily MAF, fine contaminates getting past the filter and damage to your engine. If you're cool with that, go for it. The filter did cause drastic premature wear which we verified with repeated oil analyses and finally a tear down/inspection. And yes, we cleaned and oiled it per K&N's schedule.

I won't debate it, it's been settled and the re-usable filters are dangerous. Period.
The following users liked this post:
SickStroke6.0 (05-02-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You mean like "settled science?"
Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by wildroamer
You mean like "settled science?"
Hah. Trying to make an apples to a-holes comparison eh? Yeah, that's going nowhere quickly.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I's just joshin'
Guess I woke up with a case of the ****arounds, lol. Don't take yourself so seriously, only kidding around.

I had one once for awhile. Found it to be a pain in the ***, mostly. Don't know about damage, but no thanks anyway.

Oh, and I'll have the apple please.

Last edited by wildroamer; 03-28-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by wildroamer
I's just joshin'
Guess I woke up with a case of the ****arounds, lol. Don't take yourself so seriously, only kidding around.

I had one once for awhile. Found it to be a pain in the ***, mostly. Don't know about damage, but no thanks anyway.

Oh, and I'll have the apple please.
I haven't taken myself seriously in the last 10 years. And yeah, the intake was a PITA for me too.

What kind of apples? I'm partial to Pink Lady's but Granny Smiths are always awesome.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

[QUOTE=OddBall;5251409 And yes, we cleaned and oiled it per K&N's schedule.
[/QUOTE]

There's your problem, K&N filters actually do a better job at filtering the dirtier they get!

I've had K&N and Volant filters in the past. I only had issues with the MAS once, and then learned that there's a very fine line between "just enough" and "too much" oil. But I won't put one on my ecoboost, nothing filters better than a paper filter and I have to think forced induction engines are more sensitive to that stuff than a naturally aspirated engine.