Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limp mode

I have a 2011 F150 XLT with 5.0. I just installed a new stereo head unit, now my truck is in limp mode. As I researched online it was looking like possibly a TPS issue. Since I didnt mind the opportunity to go up to a 85mm throttle body I replaced it. no change. Mind you, this occurred sitting in my driveway after I disconnected the battery. Ive since disconnected the battery, drained the capacitors by keeping the positive and negative leads together and then letting the truck sit disconnected completely. No check engine light ever and no stored codes
Old 06-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Does the 12th gen have a relearn process for after the battery has been disconnected? I know my 11th gen does. You have to bring the truck up to op temp, than let idle for a couple minutes in gear, then let idle for a couple minutes in gear with max AC on, then drive for about 10 miles or something along those lines. I dont know if the 12th gens have this or not.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

There is a relearn for the throttle body but the process you describe is more for idle I believe. For TPS, turn key on, wait for dinging to stop, a few seconds, push throttle pedal slowly to the floor, then let off quickly, turn key off. Repeat this two more times.

It sounds like something else is up though to me

Quick Reply: limp mode