Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Less power when it is cold outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Less power when it is cold outside

I have a 2012 FX4 Eco with 8200 miles. I've noticed that I have way less acceleration when it gets below 0 outside...even after I've been driving for a while and given the fluids and drivetrain plenty of time to warm up. The difference in available power is significant otherwise I wouldn't care enough to make a big deal out of it. The only mod I've done to the truck is the CAI that I added in May. Any ideas on the power loss? Is that normal at subzero temps?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 AM

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by goldstonj
I have a 2012 FX4 Eco with 8200 miles. I've noticed that I have way less acceleration when it gets below 0 outside...even after I've been driving for a while and given the fluids and drivetrain plenty of time to warm up. The difference in available power is significant otherwise I wouldn't care enough to make a big deal out of it. The only mod I've done to the truck is the CAI that I added in May. Any ideas on the power loss? Is that normal at subzero temps?
The coldest I have had my ecoboost in is 8 degrees while up in Breckenridge Colorado this past February. I didn't notice any real loss in power plus I was at 10,000ft. The cold causes my MPG to go down which seems to be the case for everyone with the Eco engine, but power stays the same. I have a 2011 Fx2 eco.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

If anything, the power should be better. Cooler air is denser, more air equals more fuel, therefore more power.

It is possible that the winter blend gas in your area is particularly bad.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a problem.....cold air is dense air which makes more power.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 AM
jes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold air makes more power. I would definitely take it in. Winter blend fuel does cause less MPG though.

Where the hell are you that it is 0 degrees out already?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 AM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

I've noticed a slight increase in power, not a drop. But it's only been down to about 20 degrees couple times here, haven't hit 0 yet.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jes
Cold air makes more power. I would definitely take it in. Winter blend fuel does cause less MPG though.

Where the hell are you that it is 0 degrees out already?
Haha...I'm just outside of Fairbanks, Alaska. We've been getting temps in the negative teens a lot lately and it's only gonna get worse!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 1,564 Likes on 996 Posts

Guys, drive-by-wire systems work completely different than cable throttles of years past. When you give it throttle, the ECU interprets it as a "torque command", not a "throttle valve command". In other words, they could be reducing the actual throttle valve open % in colder climates to achieve a target torque response.

It blew my mind when I first saw the complexity and methodology behind a typical DBW system.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by engineermike
Guys, drive-by-wire systems work completely different than cable throttles of years past. When you give it throttle, the ECU interprets it as a "torque command", not a "throttle valve command". In other words, they could be reducing the actual throttle valve open % in colder climates to achieve a target torque response.

It blew my mind when I first saw the complexity and methodology behind a typical DBW system.
That's crazy, who would have thought, now I want to know more about this and how it works. Because you can be sure that this type of system is here to stay.
Understanding it may also explain why it behaves the way it does sometimes.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 1,564 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by SA73
That's crazy, who would have thought, now I want to know more about this and how it works. Because you can be sure that this type of system is here to stay.
Understanding it may also explain why it behaves the way it does sometimes.
I wish I knew more, myself. Everything I thought I knew about throttle control went out the window and I only saw a glimpse.

Some of what was explained was also that your foot is only one input (vote) into the equation. There are lots of algorithms and requirements that also have input, such as noise, emissions, stability control, driveline torque limits, etc... that output a throttle opening that's sent to the TB. It gives you a % of available torque. It also calculates "available torque" based on another set of inputs.

When I first got my truck and scanned it, I noticed that at low rpm and full throttle, the blade was only opening ~50%. With the SCT and 5Star tunes, it goes to 100%. When I asked an expert why on earth the factory programming doesn't give me true WOT at low rpm, he responded, "did you notice more intake noise with the tune?". I had noticed that. It opened my eyes to all the things (other than power) that the throttle valve can control.
The following users liked this post:
boosted150 (11-06-2012)

Quick Reply: Less power when it is cold outside