Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EcoBoost PCM Re-Flashed Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default EcoBoost PCM Re-Flashed Today

Hi all, I had the "BOG" twice when getting on highways on the onramp at 80km/h, and i do have a periodic rough idle. I brought the truck in today to see what they could do, they told me no codes had been storred even though my check engine light was flashing when bogging, and they said they couldn't find anything else that would be causing my concern. I mentioned there was a new flash for the PCM and the service manager told me nothing came up on the laptop when they were running test and scanning for codes. He said that the reflashes only pop up if there is the need for it he said he wasn't even aware of a newer flash. well he manually went in to the PCM flash version and forced it to see if there was a newer version and behold there was, so he updated the truck for me. He also told me if it doesn't show up and if he has to force the re-flash ford won't pay him as warranty work, well he still didn't charge me and hoped this would remedy my problem.

I'll give it a couple thousand kms to do it's adaptive learning and then judge to see if there is an improvement.

I sat in the truck with the guy as he did the updated re-flash and i still don't have the gears showing in the screen i have to press the "+"still.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there is a new flash. Do you happen to know if it had a date attached to it? I wonder why there is a new flash but it's not showing up as something that needs to be updated when the truck comes in for service? Maybe the new flash is supposed to address a particular issue a truck is having, and not just a new flash for ALL Ecoboosts everywhere.

Reminds of a short story: Many years ago, my Dad takes his new truck back to the dealer for similar problems you described. Service guy tells him he has got a new chip (back when they swapped chips) and he installs it. Dad drives a few weeks and the new chip gives more power and high gas mileage and runs perfect. Dad is loving it. About a week later, service guy calls him and tells him that they have an even newer chip and the one they gave him is the wrong one? Dad says that's fine, I keeping this one! They said fine, we will still honor the warranty since we put it in there. Drove that truck for ten years and it never missed a beat and traded it. So I guess sometimes the "wrong tune" can be right for the right truck.

Thank you for the info! Please keep us updated on how the new flash results. Hope it fixes your problems.

Last edited by Hatchman; 10-14-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Sorry I don't have a date on the newer PCM Flash, but like I mentioned for some reason, unless you have specific codes (I think) the technician's computer won't say that a re-flash is needed. If it isn't needed and the technician manually goes into the PCM and asks it if there are updated flashes, supposedly Ford won't pay the dealer as warranty work. They did it for me anyways and know it seems as if the truck is great, power is back and it doesn't miss at idle and although it only happened twice before, no bog yet... Hopefully the adaptive learning isn't what caused the previous sense of a lack of power.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Whats the build date on your truck?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM

02-03-11.... not 100% sure if that's Feb 3, 2011 or Mar 2, 2011 sorry. I'm pretty sure it's Feb 3, 2011 tho.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM

I had mine re-flashed for trans issues ( Mine would not go into 6th and the gears would not show up even if you pushed the + button ). I did notice that it was the same version that was in there, but I did not think to write down the number....

After the flash it runs fine and even seem to solve a rough 1-2 shift when it was cold and moving slowly that I noticed a few times...

The ECU in these Ecoboost trucks seems to be kind of flaky. I have talked to several owners who had similar weird problems that required a re-flash.....

Quick Reply: EcoBoost PCM Re-Flashed Today