Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost P0016 After Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost P0016 After Timing Chain Replacement

Hi All,

Just finished replacing my timing chain and phasers in a 2013 F150 3.5L EcoBoost. Followed the guides and YouTube videos I found online and everything went smoothly with the replacement. When installing the chain I was able to get all the phaser timing dots andcrank timing dot to line up with all the proper timing chain colored links. After re-installing everything and performing the startup procedure, the truck started fine and runs smoothly. However, it continues to throw P0016. A few things to note with the installation to help fill in some context:

- The original timing chain was defiantly stretched. The original tensioner was fully extended with some slack in the chain prior to us removing it.
- Truck has 90K miles, no evidence of the chain being replaced previously.
- I replaced the timing components with the ford kit from the latest TSB 17-0026, however the kit I received seems to be updated as it was part number BL3Z-6D256-C (rather than -B).

At this point I'm not sure what to check next to resolve the issue. I do have an ODBII reader with ForScan and was able to pull the VCT_INT_ACT/EXT_ACT degrees. Though, I'm not sure what the defaults are or what they should be reading. During a test drive after clearing the P0016 code, the truck runs fine and has the following values:

VCT_EXH_ACT1 - 11.06 degrees
VCT_EXH_ACT2 - 12.25 degrees
VCT_INT_ACT1 - 13.59 degrees
VCT_INT_ACT2 - 11.12 degrees

However, after about 5 minutes of driving the PMC throws P0016 and ODB II also shows P0016 (waiting for confirmation). After about 2-5 more minutes, the ODB II P0016 code shows confirmed and the MIL displays.

Is there anything I've overlooked with timing the engine? Or any additional steps to take after the chain replacement? Looking for some help in what to do next.

Thanks,

Devin
Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by devin_st
Hi All,

Just finished replacing my timing chain and phasers in a 2013 F150 3.5L EcoBoost. Followed the guides and YouTube videos I found online and everything went smoothly with the replacement. When installing the chain I was able to get all the phaser timing dots andcrank timing dot to line up with all the proper timing chain colored links. After re-installing everything and performing the startup procedure, the truck started fine and runs smoothly. However, it continues to throw P0016. A few things to note with the installation to help fill in some context:

- The original timing chain was defiantly stretched. The original tensioner was fully extended with some slack in the chain prior to us removing it.
- I replaced the timing components with the ford kit from the latest TSB 17-0026, however the kit I received seems to be updated as it was part number BL3Z-6D256-C (rather than -B).

At this point I'm not sure what to check next to resolve the issue. I do have an ODBII reader with ForScan and was able to pull the VCT_INT_ACT/EXT_ACT degrees. Though, I'm not sure what the defaults are or what they should be reading. During a test drive after clearing the P0016 code, the truck runs fine and has the following values:

However, after about 5 minutes of driving the PMC throws P0016 and ODB II also shows P0016 (waiting for confirmation). After about 2-5 more minutes, the ODB II P0016 code shows confirmed and the MIL displays.

Is there anything I've overlooked with timing the engine? Or any additional steps to take after the chain replacement? Looking for some help in what to do next.

Thanks,

Devin
Sorry, I’m not familiar with what the kit includes.

Did you replace the phasers?

Did you replace the solenoids?
Old 09-14-2023, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0016

Originally Posted by devin_st
Hi All,

Thanks,

Devin
I am having the same issue. Did anyone have a resolution for this issue ?

Quick Reply: Ecoboost P0016 After Timing Chain Replacement