Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Noise on Accelleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Ecoboost Noise on Accelleration

Truck just rolled 88,000 miles, there is a intermittent noise, that occurs on light to medium accelleration. Its been there for around 10,000 miles, but seems to be getting louder. Its coming from the drivers turbo area, Almost like its under my feet. Its sort of a buzzing noise, like a reed fluttering or a fan blade hitting a shroud on an older vehicle with worn engine mounts. It seems to occur after I am coasting or moving slowly, and then accellerating up a small grade. I have a mechanical boost gauge that doesn't seem to act any different than when its not making the noise. Searches on the internet have not got me anywhere.

I'm a little curious if someone has information on what the bypass valves are doing under the various forms of accelleration and coasting.

There are no obvious exhaust leaks, and the its not coming from the heat shields on the down pipe.

Truck is 2012 Supercab 4x4 FX4, 3.5 Ecoboost, only powertrain modification is an AFE Deep transmission pan. I've owned the truck since new (Had around 100 miles on it when I got it) and the only engine parts that have been replaced in its life are the oil, oil filter and spark plugs.

Last edited by Seane1987; 06-06-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:43 AM
KTM Hauler

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a Exhaust leak before the turbo check bolts at the exhaust manifold
The following users liked this post:
Seane1987 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, I have had that in the back of my mind, just seemed to me like it should occur under any heavy throttle. I may just let it get a little worse to see if it gets a bit more obvious, but I will see if I can get something on all the manifold and turbo hardware to be sure nothing is loose.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes like KTMJack said, check the bolts on the exhaust manifold. On my passenger side at the back of the motor my exhaust manifold had popped the head of the bolt off. Mine makes a screeching noise now and I'm just going to replace the bolt and see if that helps and if it does I now I'm looking at replacing the manifold and gasket down the road.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Seane posted in my thread that his sounds like this which is what my truck has started doing the past week. Dealership checked all of the exhaust bolts and couldn't find anything wrong/loose. I am taking it back Monday because the head tech was on vacation this week but they said three of their other top techs looked at it and couldn't figure it out. They are trying to blame it on the rx catch can that was installed before I purchased the truck from them by the previous owner and how it has messed with the pcv system. I highly doubt that is the cause.

I made the video by putting the truck in reverse and holding the brake. It will only make the sound when the truck is in drive or reverse and building boost from idle. At first it was only when the truck was cold but I have started noticing it is now starting to happen after a stoplight and the truck has had a chance to let everything get to idle.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

This is a loose wastegate actuator.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

That actually makes sense but what is the fix?