Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Dreaded 5.0 Knock in '13 STX

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dreaded 5.0 Knock in '13 STX

Hi guys, new to the forum but not to Fords. I recently bought a '13 STX with 79k to replace my aging (175k+) Ranger. Absolutely fell in love with it. I've had it for a week and yesterday I noticed a knocking coming from the passenger side, most audible inside the wheel well. I've been hammering the forums and youtube ever since and it is the exact same sound that I hear in all the videos and threads where people say that the dealer eventually replaced the short block or long block due to an oblong cylinder. I'm almost certain I will have to have the block replaced and luckily I did purchase a VSC warranty from the dealer through Allstate so I'm covered for 3 years or 36k miles. A couple of questions for you guys that have been through this recently:

1) Did you have a factory warranty or extended warranty (IE Vehicle Service Contract) and if so how was the process of getting the block replaced? I'm hoping maybe since I have a 3rd party warranty the dealership will be more willing to diagnose a block replacement since it's not their dime, but I'm also nervous that it might be harder to get them to authorize the necessary diagnosis since the truck is running fine, just knocking really loud.

2) Are they typically doing long block or short block replacements now? Seems like a long block would be cheaper due to less man hours.

3) I'm looking at this as a potentially good thing as I might get a new engine in a truck that already had 80k miles on it, so I'm essentially getting a brand new truck for the price of a used one. You guys that have had your blocks replaced: have you had any issues with the new motor or has it been smooth sailing? I'm concerned about the potential for technician error and running into future problems

4) If you had just bought a truck and had an issue like this so soon would you be inclined to have them buy the truck back and try to find something else? I searched for months to find a black STX with a tow package and a 5.0 and the truck is absolutely mint and I would hate to part ways with it and go back to beat up Ranger and searching inventories.

5) Are dealerships/service centers on top of this issue now? Most of the posts I've read were from 2016 or earlier so I'm wondering if in the past couple years this has happened enough that it's quickly diagnosed and resolved. I don't feel like being jerked around but all of dealings with this dealership have been super positive so far so I'm feeling confident.

I'm taking the truck in Wednesday afternoon to have it looked at and I did record some video of the knock in case it magically doesn't knock when I bring it in. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to update my beloved STX's status on Wednesday when I know more. Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 05-29-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a video if anyone wants to weigh in. Oil pressure issue? Oblong cylinder? Nothing to worry about?

Old 06-03-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe I just don't have the trained ear others do ... but all this sounds like to me is DI... Can you try another video?

Last edited by Rougen123; 06-04-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear the knock. May be an injector.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 xtr with the 5.0 and 57k miles is at the dealership right now waiting on a long block. Nearly identical sound. Took it in on the last day of the power train warranty. Only got the truck 3 months ago so the $11k quote they gave me about gave me a heart attack. The engine is back ordered and the last one the dealership ordered took 6 weeks to come in. Here's a video of what mine sounded like.
https://youtu.be/K1TpxCghfmA

I would take it in haha
Old 06-28-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

You definitely need a short block for sure. mine sounded like that too. I did not get a long block, the dealer requested it but Ford only did the short block which was where the problem was. Truck running great 11,000 miles later. Glad I had it done.

Quick Reply: Dreaded 5.0 Knock in '13 STX