Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Computer calibration for octane.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Computer calibration for octane.

I read in the manual for the 2011 3.7 & 5.0. "Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel. Premium fuel will provide improved performance."

My question is , how long will it take for the computer to bump the timing and make whatever changes it makes for higher octane? I am guessing factory HP and torque numbers were gathered with premium in the tank.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that the engine has to be running on the "recommended" fuel for the SAE horsepower test - so it should produce the rated horsepower with 87 octane.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Loki 5.0
I read in the manual for the 2011 3.7 & 5.0. "Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel. Premium fuel will provide improved performance."

My question is , how long will it take for the computer to bump the timing and make whatever changes it makes for higher octane? I am guessing factory HP and torque numbers were gathered with premium in the tank.
Says the same thing for Ecoboost. It left me wondering if it can sense the octane of the fuel and adjust accordingly. I know my Wife's Audi is capable of this. But when I went on to read the manual it suggested that if you are towing heavy or in the mountains and hear spark knock, that's when you go to a higher octane fuel.

Quick Reply: Computer calibration for octane.