Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Bullydog GT Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bullydog GT Ecoboost

Was at Earl Owens picking up Daystar Leveling kit and they had them in stock, headed to install. Details in a couple hours.

Bullydog GT Ecoboost-image-3648470648.jpg
Old 11-14-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to seeing someone else's review. I've enjoyed mine so far.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Sub'd
Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 PM

After PM'ing esquire about what fuse to use, I pulled over and am tuning now!!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MDS83
Was at Earl Owens picking up Daystar Leveling kit and they had them in stock, headed to install. Details in a couple hours.

Attachment 64886
Can't wait to hear your impressions.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Just instaled mine 2 hours ago. Initial thoughts are I love the re-work of the Throttle. It most definitely uses the turbos more, I got 10psi almost instantly on the "regular gas" tune. Speed limiter is gone! Have to get used to the quicker throttle response though

The truck acts more like a diesel than before.................I love it (as I have always wanted a diesel but could never justifity it). Under light throttle it dumps boost ever shift, cool but could get annoying after awhile.

They are running almost no timing with these things. Now I only watched a couple runs, 5-9 degs at WOT is all I saw, at time it was negative timing. Not sure if "Premium Tune" will run more or not. Boost peaked at 17psi between shifts, but maintained 10psi throughout the powerband.

Keep in mind, this was the "regular fuel" tune. Also, for those that will permanently install and run the power wire, there is a gromet, when pulled form the engine bay side pops right out. There is a raised section that I assume its purpose is to run extra wires through. I will grab a picture later.

So far I love it. The initial 1-2 shift is hard, but my 20 mile trip back to work it had began to soften up already. I can see where they get more fuel mileage, this things shifts super early under light load and really utilizes the low rpm grunt of this motor. For one short stretch, no wind, 63mph cruise, for about 7 miles, I was knocking down 21mpg, best I have gotten yet. Flat for the most part, just as many down hills as there is uphills (small hills).

Gets my stamp of approval so far! Did one WOT blast, off the line didn't seem much different other than the firmer shifting, but in the upper rpms with the sustained boost this things just rolls out
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some premium fuel in that thing and try the performance tune! You'll never run 87 octane again.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

That is what I am thinking, I have half a tank of 87 though, need to burn throuh that. Won't take long at all
Old 11-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Ok finally got home. little background, I have been hopping up diesel trucks and sold diesel performance for the last 10 years, have owned, tested,sold 95% of every programmer and plug in module offered for every dodge cummins 1999 to 2009, Ford power stroke 2004 to 2010 , 2011 ford mustang 5.0 and a couple of 5.4 diablo programmers, Chevrolet Duramax 2003 to 2009 , gas 5.7, 5.3 , and 6.0 gas programmers and 2010 Camaro programmers, I buy lots of vehicles to test out new technology and new programmers, really my only hobby!!

Now to the good stuff! I am running 93 octane and set it to performance tune, not really gonna have to go into too much detail because mrpositraction did a great job. I tuned the truck without power wire and unplugged, Right out of the gate I felt the typical Bullydog Diesel touchy throttle, the 1-2 first shift was pretty harsh but settled down after that, getting on it it spun the tires from 1-2 shift and chirped tires on 2-3 shift, power feels pretty good, never been a fan of any gas programmer because they usually do nothing to very little and not worth the money. That is not the case here, the Ecoboost is not a normal gas truck, you can definitely feel the extra power, truck doesn't like 70 it wants to go faster. Only complaint so far is it is a little touchy. Example- when going 70 and letting off or barely touching gas you can really feel it, Bullydog may work this out with future updates. It's touchy at all times but really notice it on gravel and on interstate

All in all I'm am really pleased with the power and truck is way more fun to drive, I really miss the 300+ hp tuners on my diesel trucks but don't miss the emission crap and more expensive fuel!! Ecoboost is definently the next best thing for diesel lovers!

I will be traveling wednesday and will try to remember hand calculated mpg numbers. Sorry for any spelling errors, typed from ipad

Here is a video of boosted launch to 100+. Sorry I forgot to turn music down
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/174a765a.mp4

also - my truck is FX4 with 3.73 rear gear

Originally Posted by mrpositraction
Just instaled mine 2 hours ago. Initial thoughts are I love the re-work of the Throttle. It most definitely uses the turbos more, I got 10psi almost instantly on the "regular gas" tune. Speed limiter is gone! Have to get used to the quicker throttle response though

The truck acts more like a diesel than before.................I love it (as I have always wanted a diesel but could never justifity it). Under light throttle it dumps boost ever shift, cool but could get annoying after awhile.

They are running almost no timing with these things. Now I only watched a couple runs, 5-9 degs at WOT is all I saw, at time it was negative timing. Not sure if "Premium Tune" will run more or not. Boost peaked at 17psi between shifts, but maintained 10psi throughout the powerband.

Keep in mind, this was the "regular fuel" tune. Also, for those that will permanently install and run the power wire, there is a gromet, when pulled form the engine bay side pops right out. There is a raised section that I assume its purpose is to run extra wires through. I will grab a picture later.

So far I love it. The initial 1-2 shift is hard, but my 20 mile trip back to work it had began to soften up already. I can see where they get more fuel mileage, this things shifts super early under light load and really utilizes the low rpm grunt of this motor. For one short stretch, no wind, 63mph cruise, for about 7 miles, I was knocking down 21mpg, best I have gotten yet. Flat for the most part, just as many down hills as there is uphills (small hills).

Gets my stamp of approval so far! Did one WOT blast, off the line didn't seem much different other than the firmer shifting, but in the upper rpms with the sustained boost this things just rolls out

Last edited by MDS83; 11-14-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:33 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Nice to hear from someone with your experience with tuners. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bullydog GT Ecoboost