Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Bully Dog is OFF the truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Bully Dog is OFF the truck

I decided today to return the truck back to the stock programming. I have been running the BD for about 5K miles. During that time my mileage has been about 1 to 1.5 less on the highway than it had been before adding it. The best highway mpg had been a little under 20mpg. I removed it today and drove the truck 270 miles and averaged right at 21. My driving is very consistent with the same route travelled weekly. All mileage is hand calculated. The onboard reads about 10% low with the tuner added.

I was not happy with the way the truck shifted either. It constantly up shifts way to soon in my opinion unless you are accelerating briskly. I never minded the hard upshift to 2nd. I could constantly hear the turbos "barking"/stalling quite often as well. I noticed none of this before the addition and none of it on the way home. The truck definitely had more power with the BD when running wide open, but the side effects are not worth it to me right now. I am waiting on the next tuner or custom tune to come out.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 69428SCJ
I decided today to return the truck back to the stock programming. I have been running the BD for about 5K miles. During that time my mileage has been about 1 to 1.5 less on the highway than it had been before adding it. The best highway mpg had been a little under 20mpg. I removed it today and drove the truck 270 miles and averaged right at 21. My driving is very consistent with the same route travelled weekly. All mileage is hand calculated. The onboard reads about 10% low with the tuner added.

I was not happy with the way the truck shifted either. It constantly up shifts way to soon in my opinion unless you are accelerating briskly. I never minded the hard upshift to 2nd. I could constantly hear the turbos "barking"/stalling quite often as well. I noticed none of this before the addition and none of it on the way home. The truck definitely had more power with the BD when running wide open, but the side effects are not worth it to me right now. I am waiting on the next tuner or custom tune to come out.
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting for an alternative.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

waiting for a 5star tune.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

I think I'm diving into my own tune. The hell with bd
Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 AM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

You have done us all a great service with this report! Keeps us from going through what you just went through - and that in itself saves us all money and heart break!

Next tuner up!! N n
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm thinking that unless someone comes up with a tune that really improves the power without compromising the original intent - gas powered torque monster that pulls when you need it and gets mileage when you don't - then I'm sticking with the factory set up.

Now, if I was drag racing and WOT power was the thing I was after then I'd go with the ***** out setup.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:54 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by onemean460
waiting for a 5star tune.
Me too!

Trending Topics

Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the $ saving tip for all of us. Myself, I'm a power junkie, Boss 302, 427 Comet 465ci FE stroker etc. and I'm perfectly happy with my dead stock EB. It has the perfect combo of mileage and power. I ain't mess'n with it!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5 Star for me also
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Has anyone heard anything more about Innovative Diesel? I thought I recall them having some custom tuning coming out soon. I can't wait to see what Mike at 5 Star has in store. Even if he just got rid of all the sissy nanny stuff, the boost dumping and some of the TQ Management etc, without even adding an single bit of power, I think you guys will see some nice improvements.

Quick Reply: Bully Dog is OFF the truck