Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Block Heater Plug Leaking Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Block Heater Plug Leaking Coolant?

2011 F-150 5.0 V8 4WD - 61,000 miles
Leaking coolant from above the differential, more when it's warm outside, less when it's cold outside. No over heating, I just refill to the line. Block Heater Plug? Specs? Anyone know the procedure to get to it or have done this repair already? Pics? Haynes manual says nothing about it, no suprise. I'd be doing the work myself. All the hoses seem to be good, already done the infamous reserviour hose repair. Thanks in advance!

- Mike
Old 04-24-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 141 Likes on 135 Posts

Someone in the 5.0 leak thread just did this repair and said it was a nightmare to get at. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Shouldn't be too hard to change if you can get to it thru the driver side fender well. It's in the block right behind the alternator.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:37 PM

Default Pics -> Opinions & Input?

Block Heater arriving any day. My local Ford Service Dept. read the service repair to me over the phone; remove -> accessory drive belt, belt tensioner and alternator. I did this Friday & found a crack, not loose threads. Opinions & Inputs? Looks cracked to me.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely update on this. I think I may have the same problem.. Main reason why I signed up on this forum.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 AM

Default Problem Fixed !!!!

Fixed the problem today. After re-installation, I refilled system with distilled water & (2) containers of Prestone Flush & Cleaner since I noticed the dirtyness in my upper pictured hose. Will drive with windows down, heat on to open t-stat while driving. Drain, refill with d-water again to clean out, then refill with new coolant. Will update. Used this socket & adapter. New heater, Genuine Ford Part. Put my truck on ramps to do work on cold engine. Disconnect battery terminals.
Remove coolant reservior tank cap first. Lower right corner of radiator red relief ****. Secured a clear hose to drain outlet end to show coolant draining. Does NOT drain engine block.

Radiator draining into bucket. Notice clear container in background to catch block heater leakage plus to catch coolant when removing block heater.

Remove upper intake manifold system, set aside. Good time to clean MAF sensor & throttle body. Use only designated cleaners for each. Check/replace air filter.
I used a funnel & long tubing into same 5 gal. bucket to drain more coolant from this hose. Allows better access to work as well.

Follow these instructions step-by-step to remove alternator safely. I disconnected battery completely, left in Park.

Alternator removed. I had to use a small prybar to wiggle it free from bottom of engine block. Very tight removing & re-installing.

Old removed, along side new. I didn't add any extra thread sealant to new, installed as is. Start threading into block by hand first, then ratchet. Was tight going in for me until mating surfaces met.

The following 2 users liked this post by mpd13078:
shane brazil (10-04-2017), Special Ed65 (11-20-2018)
Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 141 Likes on 135 Posts

Nice write-up!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 26 Posts

About to try this on my '11 FX2. It looks like it's way easier on 2WD. Pretty easy access from underneath. Should be able to leave alternator in place. I'm happy about that since I just replaced it 6 weeks ago. Don't need any more skinned knuckles. I've ordered a 33mm 1/2" drive socket from Amazon. I hope that's the right conversion from the 1-5/16" shown here.