Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anybody's Ecoboost doing this??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anybody's Ecoboost doing this??

Chapter 1: These videos were at WOT after cruising on the Interstate for a while. I know there have been guys on here talking about condensation in the inter cooler and was wondering if this is what y'all are experiencing. I have had the TSB 12-2-10 completed and this problem still persists. The difference is before the re-flash I would get a flashing CEL. It stayed on once so I was able to get the TSB performed. Since the TSB i have this problem but no light. The problem comes and goes along with the mileage, varying from 18mpg to 12mpg on the same road, same speed for the last 15000 miles. I drive the same trip every 2 weeks, 342 miles, vary gas stations frequently to see if I can pinpoint a pattern. There is no pattern that I can find. It might not do it for 2 months then it might do it 4 or 5 times on a trip. I haven't taken it to the dealer again because there have been no lights and I didn't want to get the " We couldn't replicate the problem!" spill. The problem usually presents itself at the worst time on the highway, like when you are trying to not get run over. It usually just does it once then not again for a while. The last couple of weeks I have been making videos every time I mash it and was able to get the beast on video. It is definitely going to the dealer and I am not taking it back until they come up with a good answer and fix to the problem. I have 4 kids and if something happened with them in the truck, when I knew the problem was there, I would never forgive myself. What are y'alls thoughts. Let me know if the videos wont work.
http://youtu.be/sxS4LBz2NFU
http://youtu.be/D3aI5TINKaA
http://youtu.be/inOcS6zY0R4
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

Wow, did you show the dealer these videos? If the dealership still does not get on it right away after you have shown them the video then go to another dealership if you can. If the next dealership still does nothing then I would call someone at Ford at 800-392-FORD (3673) and get an e-mail address of a person that can do something about this and e-mail the videos to them. Make sure it is someone that can do something about the problem and not just some phone answerer in India or where ever they are from. More then likeley they will guide you to fixing your issue. Try not to be mean, complaintive, or rude because that will not aide in getting your problem fixed at all and being nice and courtious will go a long way into the person going the extra mile for you. Sorry this is happening to your nice truck.

Edit: Before going to the dealership again, I would call the service manager and see if he would give you his e-mail address so you can send the videos to him. The service manager should be the guy/girl you would like to know first after buying a new vehicle at any dealership. Getting to know him/her well on good terms and showing loyalty to his service depaetment with past business will vastly improve your service experience and how promptly your vehicle gets fixed in almost every instance.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 05-12-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Al Kohalic: I haven't shown it to them yet. These videos are the ammo I have been waiting for. I am currently out of town but as soon as I get back it is going. I plan on moving on up the ladder if I can't get any help at my dealership. The guys there are all good people and are willing to help I just don't know if they can without some type of code. Like I said earlier it may not do it again for another month so I am not sure if they can do anything but they are definitely going to get a shot.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

Man that's messed up!! Never seen this before.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I had it happen once after driving 6 hours in the rain. I went to merge onto another interstate and pressed the pedal to merge and bwah! at the same RPM as the videos. Scared the crap out of me. No CEL flashed either. Waited about a mile and kicked it again and everything ran normal.

What I hate is that this problem could spring up again when I'm pulling my TT and need to move NOW. It pisses me off that Ford is aware of this and hasn't figured out how to fix it. I love my truck, but hate the Russian roulette that this type of problem could cause.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Does it act the same as the speed limiter?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by minniehill2
Yes it does, it acts like it is hitting the speed or the rev limiter, really makes no sense! I would normally let out as soon as it happened but decided to stay in it to see if it would recover, it eventually does. Not sure what the issue is. Is anyone else having this issue?

Last edited by CATaylor; 05-13-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Originally Posted by minniehill2
yes. In fact it goes to the 4k rpm mark just like it will when sitting in PARK and holding down throttle. Very strange.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is scary... Hope it works out. I'm wanting to get a 2012 but this would be a problem for me.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Originally Posted by Bud Dieselman
That is scary... Hope it works out. I'm wanting to get a 2012 but this would be a problem for me.
It has only happened once. And it was after driving hours in the rain. It could be the condensation problem in the intercooler that others have talked about. If that is the case, I could see where anyone who lived where the dew point is consistently high could have a problem.

Quick Reply: Anybody's Ecoboost doing this??