Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Another ecoboost bogging an shuttering

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Another ecoboost bogging an shuttering

So I have around 8500 mi on the truck an its finally done the eb stutter at around 70mph. Just so happened I was watching the cluster and this is what I seen. I went to pass a vehicle that was cruising along 70 mph on the fourlane went to wide open throttle truck kicked down to 3rd gear went to near redline sped up to 80mph an it felt like I hit a wall so I instantly let out. The engine never knocked or sounded abnormal just instantly lost all power so I let out as soon as I felt it quit pulling. The cel flashed 3 or 4 times then went off an hasnt come back on. Truck is going to the dealer sometime this week so what should I recommend them look for since others have went through this issue. Forgot to mention the truck also has the shuttering transmission especially in 6th gear with the torque converter locked up. Best way to describe it is it feels like there is a trailer behind it is my best explanation.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what you are feeling with the shuttering in 6th is the ecu dumping boost. This makes the torque drop quickly so the truck bucks a bit. Mine does this too. You can feel it more when the converter is locked up.

Not sure on the no power issue.

John
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same Issue here.
Driving about 40 mph, I changed lanes and stepped on it all the way. But instead of accellerating or downshifting, it hung in gear and the check engine light started flashing a few times. Felt exactly like dragging a tree. It did this twice on the same trip. Has anyone actually had the correct diagnosis for this????
2011 Ecoboost Screw 4wd 3.55 limited slip. 7,000 miles
Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine has only done it once in 8500 mi I've had it. I'm on pretty good terms with the dealer so they asked me what I thought they should look at. Me an the tech talked for an hour so I guess there going to check the cats, plugs, all of the intake/intercooler piping, check the ecu, check to make sure my computer is up to date on the computer software, check the valve body in the tranny an anything else they can thing of to cause a misfire an the shutter. Hopefully we can find a solution to this irritating issue with the eb
Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moore08
So I have around 8500 mi on the truck an its finally done the eb stutter at around 70mph. Just so happened I was watching the cluster and this is what I seen. I went to pass a vehicle that was cruising along 70 mph on the fourlane went to wide open throttle truck kicked down to 3rd gear went to near redline sped up to 80mph an it felt like I hit a wall so I instantly let out. The engine never knocked or sounded abnormal just instantly lost all power so I let out as soon as I felt it quit pulling. The cel flashed 3 or 4 times then went off an hasnt come back on. Truck is going to the dealer sometime this week so what should I recommend them look for since others have went through this issue. Forgot to mention the truck also has the shuttering transmission especially in 6th gear with the torque converter locked up. Best way to describe it is it feels like there is a trailer behind it is my best explanation.
Being a Ford Master Mechanic and owning one of these, mine has not done what everyone has described here yet. I have expierenced the occasional miss fire or slight buck under load to date, But not bad enough to warrant looking into.I talked to our Ford field service rep about the described problem and his answer was "they are working on it" and would not say anything more about it as to avoid any discussion on the subject. So my guess is that if enough complaints come in about it they will come out with some kind of fix. So if you have the problem take it in and have it checked, that way it is documented and if a problem is found it can be repaired. We have sold a bunch of these and have had one come in with this complaint in which I did not get to work on. The truck had the cat replaced is all I know and the customer says the truck still has the problem. So all we can do is wait and see what fix Ford comes up with.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Moore08
Ask them if it could be foreign material in a solenoid valve in the trans causing it to shift down so low, rev way up.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 AM

Received 756 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by 32valve
Being a Ford Master Mechanic and owning one of these, mine has not done what everyone has described here yet. I have expierenced the occasional miss fire or slight buck under load to date, But not bad enough to warrant looking into.I talked to our Ford field service rep about the described problem and his answer was "they are working on it" and would not say anything more about it as to avoid any discussion on the subject. So my guess is that if enough complaints come in about it they will come out with some kind of fix. So if you have the problem take it in and have it checked, that way it is documented and if a problem is found it can be repaired. We have sold a bunch of these and have had one come in with this complaint in which I did not get to work on. The truck had the cat replaced is all I know and the customer says the truck still has the problem. So all we can do is wait and see what fix Ford comes up with.
I also have had the slight bucking under load up a hill but only when it's in 6th gear.If the transmission drops down to 5th gear the bucking goes away.

Later Mark.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems all elec controlled trans have some area where they get "lost" as to shift up/down or not at all. This cld be part of the issue?

Quick Reply: Another ecoboost bogging an shuttering