Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Android device, strictly for Torque Pro.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Android device, strictly for Torque Pro.

OK, I'm an Apple guy through and through. iMac's, MacBook's, iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple TV, even wifi networks.

But for OBD PID monitoring, I'm crying uncle. The iPad/iPhone applications just basically suck, even *after* you get past the bluetooth limitation with Jailbreak and additional software, and

Torque Pro seems to be the hot ticket. And Torque-bhp seems to be one of the very few important android app developers that hasn't ported to IOS.

So I want to buy an android device pretty much exclusively for in-car PID monitoring with Torque. Any specific suggestions on a lower cost device? Thinking small tablet...

Amazon has a bunch of low cost tablets with names like 'ProntoTec', 'Tagital', 'Dragon Touch', 'Astro Queo', 'FONESO', and a ton of other obviously Chinese-import sounding names (that are likely the exact same hardware). Anybody have experience with any of these cheapo android tablets?

eg: 'Deerbrook 7" Android 4.2 Tablet', $53 delivered on Amazon.

Last edited by pfbz; 04-14-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
OK, I'm an Apple guy through and through. iMac's, MacBook's, iPhones, iPadeBay.report Pods, Apple TV, even wifi networks.

But for OBD PID monitoring, I'm crying uncle. The iPad/iPhone applications just basically suck, even *after* you get past the bluetooth limitation with Jailbreak and additional software, and

Torque Pro seems to be the hot ticket. And Torque-bhp seems to be one of the very few important android app developers that hasn't ported to IOS.

So I want to buy an android device pretty much exclusively for in-car PID monitoring with Torque. Any specific suggestions on a lower cost device? Thinking small tablet...

Amazon has a bunch of low cost tablets with names like 'ProntoTec', 'Tagital', 'Dragon Touch', 'Astro Queo', 'FONESO', and a ton of other obviously Chinese-import sounding names (that are likely the exact same hardware). Anybody have experience with any of these cheapo android tablets?

eg: 'Deerbrook 7" Android 4.2 Tablet', $53 delivered on Amazon.
Just make sure it has Blue tooth. And for the odbd2 scanner, get BAFX. The $10 ones often don't work. A used Android smart phone might be your best bet. Or look for a used tablet on Craigslist or eBay.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Go to deals.woot.com search for moofi in the search box and pick up a first Gen nexus 7 tablet. I think $150 or less.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by packplantpath
Go to deals.woot.com search for moofi in the search box and pick up a first Gen nexus 7 tablet. I think $150 or less.
I have the 2nd gen, but checked and 1st gen has Bluetooth also.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New egg has refurbished Asus 7" memo pads. I'm currently Typing on mine now. They want $80 for a refurbished one. I bought mine New on Amazon for $130. I love it. I have tried The cheap no names and for just a bit more this Asus is great. I had mine set up with a Bluetooth obd2 adapter in my Hyundai genesis coupe turbo using torque pro for boost, intake air temp, and coolant.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Just look for a cheap used phone. I'm using my wife's old EVO for Torque, works just fine.

I agree with the assessment of the available iOS apps, they're either extremely overpriced, or don't do much more than pull codes.

Quick Reply: Android device, strictly for Torque Pro.